PDA

View Full Version : D70: JPEG Fine and RAW simultaneously?

Jim R
01-22-2006, 01:48 AM
Usually, the photos I take have to be printed as quickly as possible, and for convenience, I shoot in JPEG Fine, so I can print at the local shop kiosk machine (which won't read RAW). However, like most amateur photographers, I'd like to get back into the 'darkroom' (= photoshop) someday, when I get the time, to work on my favourite images. Ideally, to do that I really need the images in RAW. Is it possible to shoot in JPEG Fine and RAW simultaneously, and record both images? Can the D70 be re-programmed to do this? Could this be done as a custom-job? Does Nikon offer anything like this, in a firmware upgrade?
I can understand this not being desirable when these camers first came out, and memory-card capacity was so expensive. But these days, with high-capacity memory cards so inexpensive

coldrain
01-22-2006, 02:39 AM
The D50 always has been able to do this, read your manual to find out where the setting for it is.

Ray Schnoor
01-22-2006, 06:56 AM
Neither the D50 nor the D70 will shoot Raw + JPEG fine. They will only shoot Raw + JPEG basic.

Jim R
01-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Yes, that's my problem

Is there any way of changing that?

Is the D200 the same?

Ray Schnoor
01-22-2006, 02:04 PM
From dpreview ( http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond200/page2.asp ) it looks as if the D200 will save Raw + JPEG fine with a file size of 20.7 MB.

coldrain
01-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Oops, my bad. The EOS 350D, 5D and 20D all allow RAW+fine JPEG, the EOS 1D MKII N even allows for RAW and JPEG to be saved on separate cards.

When I read in a review about the D70 that it allowed large JPEG with RAW I did not realize it is only in the most compressed format.

timmciglobal
01-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Even at high compression I don't find the jpegs bad, they are just compressed. You can setup a action to convert all your nef's into jpegs if u want or print the basics.

Tim

Cold Snail
01-23-2006, 04:03 AM
Even at high compression I don't find the jpegs bad, they are just compressed. You can setup a action to convert all your nef's into jpegs if u want or print the basics.

Tim

I shoot with both.
The JPEG is just for a quick visual check, if there's something wrong with it at that stage, the NEF file is deleted at the same time.
If the shot's workable, I always process the NEF file, saving as a TIFF for printing and another JPEG at 100%.