PDA

View Full Version : Newb to Photography - Getting a D50, what lenses and accesories?

Shazkar
01-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Okay, so I've decided upon a D50, yet am relatively new to photo (though I've shot on SLRs before, just not frequently).

These were the lenses I was considering purchasing as good base lesnes:
Nikkor 18-70mm DX f/3.5 - f/4.5
Nikkor 50mm Prime f/1.8

However, I've seen a lot on this forum about third party lenses, and was wondering if there are any other good options?

Also, other than a memory card, what else should I get?

timmciglobal
01-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Well...

First question is what do you want to shoot. If you prefer long zoom shots or wider shots, if your interested more in print quality or PC viewing quality, what is your budget?

I prefer the sandisk ultra 2 SD cards. Fast, reliable and you can find them online for reasonable prices.

As far as lenses, answer above questions for more help. You also want to think about where your going to use it and for what. A flash might be a better accessory to buy then a 50 1.8 lens depending on what you plan on doing with it for example.

Tim

Shazkar
01-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Well, my aim is to keep the total price of body + lenses initally under 1k and then later on I can add depending on my needs.

I'm really just starting out, but so far as I know at the moment I don't need extreme zoom, like 300mm and such. I'm fairly sure about the 50mm though, so what I need help on is the other lens. A speedlight is in my future plans, but as of now its not all that important.

For now I just want a nice lens that will allow me to shoot a fair range of subjects, and having tested out the 18-70 on someone elses camera, thats the kind of general purpose lens I would want.. but I don't know anything about third party lenses, so what are some similar types of lenses I could look at that perhaps might be cheaper? Are there any advantages to the Nikon brand lens?

Also, opinions on Kingston 1GB Elite Pro High-Speed SecureDigital Memory Card..? I can get that for under 60 bucks.

D70FAN
01-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Okay, so I've decided upon a D50, yet am relatively new to photo (though I've shot on SLRs before, just not frequently).

These were the lenses I was considering purchasing as good base lesnes:
Nikkor 18-70mm DX f/3.5 - f/4.5
Nikkor 50mm Prime f/1.8

However, I've seen a lot on this forum about third party lenses, and was wondering if there are any other good options?

Also, other than a memory card, what else should I get?

As for 3rd party lenses there are several that would suit amature and professional needs. Keep in mind as you read lens reviews that Nikon seems to interface better with third party lenses than Canon, so check to see which camera was used for the review.

The Nikkor 18-70 came with my D70 kit, a nice lens, but I opted for the Sigma 18-125 DC. A marginal step down in build quality, but a much better day-to-day lens. The Sigma 18-200 is a decent wide range zoom lens as well. At this point I have not had good experience with Nikons lower cost VR lenses, but your milage may vary.

Sigma and Tamron do produce some reasonably priced "pro-type" lenses as well like the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, and the (almost) legendary Tamron 28-70 f/2.8.

The 50mm f1.8 is a good addition to your collection, but the next accessory you should consider is the SB800 speedlight.

The reason for the SB800 with the D50 is that the SB800 has speedlight Commander control for remote wireless flash use, and the SB600 does not. Your D50 does not have this function built-in where the D70, D70s, and D200 do. Both flashes do a remarkable job in iTTL mode, but again, someday you may want to use Nikon remote wireless flashes and the SB800 will provide the control base.

That's about it. If you have a camera store in your area that rents lenses, that is a great low cost, low hassle, way to see what you like.

Shazkar
01-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Hm, thanks for the advice. I was looking at the SB-800 as well, but for now I can hold off on that till I make some more money and just get the two lenses.

I suppose what I'll do is get the D50 with the 50mm prime and then try out some various zoom lenses and see what works best for me.

Good plan?

rawpaw18
01-21-2006, 10:30 AM
SHAZKAR,
I bought the exact setup your are contemplating, just a month ago.
I have been extremely pleased with it. I had planned on buying the
Tamron 28-75 until I was told buy others that for shooting pictures
of my kids indoors that I would be better off with something wider.
They were right. The 18-70 focuses fast and the 50, well it lives
up to its lofty reputation. Flash is next on the list, have to let my
credit card cool down first. Have fun. Rich

Shazkar
01-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Also, other than lenses and memory card, do I need anything else to start out, like filters or something?

Jason25
01-21-2006, 04:42 PM
I'd get a polarizer and a bag, personally :)

Shazkar
01-21-2006, 09:31 PM
A polarizer for my zoom lens or my prime? :confused: