PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on 2 sigma lense deal at ritzcamera

ryan112ryan
01-17-2006, 01:14 PM
I own a d70s but am in the market for lenses i was looking at the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super II Autofocusthis lense (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=SI703004ASSA&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=163661)

then i was at Ritz camera and saw this deal

the deal: click here (http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=7810764&bct=t1004%3Bc1022%3Bc915144)

are these the same lense or diffent, if so what are the differences (will i a realtive newbie really notice). should i go with the packege deal at ritz or just buy the seperate lense (the one i linked first)

what do you think about this deal? Thanks!:)
**if you refer to a lense please provide a link becuase there are so many lenses and i get confused to which one u are refering to**

coldrain
01-17-2006, 02:20 PM
The 2 lenses deal should be left alone, that 70-300 lens is not the APO version, and performs not so well.

The first link is a link to the old APO version, and for a sigma camera at that, not for Nikon mount.

Go for this one, the newest APO DG version, redesigned with digital SLR's in mind. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=396830&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

The differences of all these lenses are in used lens glass, and coatings on the glass, to improve optical quality.

ryan112ryan
01-17-2006, 04:27 PM
ah well let me then put this out there too i was looking at this lense too would this be a good choice? i was thinking that i was going to spend alot more than it looks like i am going to. would there be a better lense then this for my d70s that is similar to this?

lense click here (http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-pricegrabber.asp?id=964594429&rf=pg&dfdate=01_16_2006)

will both of these (this one above and the one you suggested) auto focus on the d70?

coldrain
01-17-2006, 05:44 PM
ah well let me then put this out there too i was looking at this lense too would this be a good choice? i was thinking that i was going to spend alot more than it looks like i am going to. would there be a better lense then this for my d70s that is similar to this?

lense click here (http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-pricegrabber.asp?id=964594429&rf=pg&dfdate=01_16_2006)

will both of these (this one above and the one you suggested) auto focus on the d70?
That Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC is a very good lens for the money, and it would do well on your D50. Yes, both will autofocus fine.

If you want to cut corners, the D50's kit lens is not as bad as often is said. It may even be better than the D70's kitlens, but I do not know for sure (and lots of people will start yelling at me for suggesting it). So, that Nikon 18-55 kit lens may lessen the financial pain if needed, until you know what you really would like (after experience with yoru DSLR).

ryan112ryan
01-17-2006, 08:29 PM
That Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC is a very good lens for the money, and it would do well on your D50. Yes, both will autofocus fine.

If you want to cut corners, the D50's kit lens is not as bad as often is said. It may even be better than the D70's kitlens, but I do not know for sure (and lots of people will start yelling at me for suggesting it). So, that Nikon 18-55 kit lens may lessen the financial pain if needed, until you know what you really would like (after experience with yoru DSLR).

thanks coldrain you have been very helpful :)

im actually using a d70s, but i noticed one thing about the G seires lenses from nikon (which the kit lense is) is that they have no apature ring, thus i couldn't maually change the apature, i would have to do it through menus, which i rather use the ring if im not going to use AF

also the kit lens doesn't have as large of an apature as this sigma, which is more for what im looking for, unless there is somthing that im missing or am not aware of besides the fact that the kit lens is a nikon lense (higher quality than the sigma mabye)

crap i think the sigma lens doesn't have an apature ring either :( this seemes like a feature that i would want to keep so i can stay out of the meuse and make adjustments on the lense

coldrain
01-18-2006, 02:13 AM
I am not sure that you can actually use aperture rings, I think you just have to use the aperture dail, don't you? As far as I know the D70s has two wheels, one in front, one in the back. One to change shutter speed, one to change aperture.

Ray Schnoor
01-18-2006, 05:57 AM
I am not sure that you can actually use aperture rings, I think you just have to use the aperture dail, don't you? As far as I know the D70s has two wheels, one in front, one in the back. One to change shutter speed, one to change aperture.
Coldrain is correct here. To change the aperture manually, you do it with the dial on the front of the camera, not with the aperture ring. If the aperture ring on the lens is not set at the "smallest" aperture, you will get an error message on the camera. An "EE" will flash in place of the aperture value and the camera will not operate.

Ray.