PDA

View Full Version : A future review for the Pentax Optio 750Z?..

Endymion
10-18-2004, 12:46 PM
First i want to thank you Jeff for the quality of your reviews..that helped me a lot in my learning of digital photography :) ..

Happy owner of a Pentax Optio 750Z i'm wondering if you're planning to do a review of this camera soon?..

It seems to me personally that this new Pentax 750Z has all necessary qualities to be a serious competitor for the Canon G6..and I'm quite suprised by the few attention given to this camera since the annonce of its release 2 months ago from now?..

Therefore I hope that this Pentax camera will retain your attention.. and I think a lot of persons eventually would be interested by a challenger of quality for the Canon G6..

thanks by advance :)

Jeff Keller
10-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Pentax has very little interest in working with me. I would recommend contacting the Pentax USA marketing people and telling them that you want me to review the 750Z!

D70FAN
10-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Pentax has very little interest in working with me. I would recommend contacting the Pentax USA marketing people and telling them that you want me to review the 750Z!

No surprise there. I wonder if the other camera boards, with more "pros", and fewer "cons" are seeing this as well. I think not.

No loss in my opinion, and I think that is backed up by the lack of activity on the Pentax boards. Woo-hoo! :rolleyes:

Endymion
10-18-2004, 11:15 PM

I will..but does your response mean that you never receive test materiel from them?..

I thought that after this interesting test of the optio 555 your relations with pentax were good..

But well,my knowledge of the negotiations marketing is rather limited.. therefore I will try to do to pass the message..

cause I really think personaly that this camera deserves more attention than the one grants to its currently :) ..

Rhys
10-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Pentax is, IMHO, a 3rd rate pedlar of dodgy goods anyway so I agree with George in that it's no great loss.

I had a Pentax about 15 years ago and had to take it back then get the replacement repaired (twice) while still under guarantee. Even then it didn't work all that well. My Geology lecturer in university had had a Pentax and had had nothing but problems and failed even to get a repair under guarantee. Thus he'd chosen an alternative brand and refused to have anything to do with Pentax. Indeed, even a local camera shop in my home city advised me not to buy Pentax because their reliability even now is poor.

The phrase "you're not missing much" comes to mind when Pentax is mentioned.

Endymion
10-19-2004, 06:24 AM
Everyone had this type of problems.. all the camera factories have produced defective devices..therefore this is not specially a brand problem sorry..

I had personally a lot of problems with a Canon camera two years ago..but that doesn't drive me to a systematic critic against the brand..then you will excuse me but i don't think your arguments are quite "objective"..

This Pentax 750Z works really well for me and i make good photos with it..just hope for you that you'll be more lucky in your next purchase..

Jeff Keller
10-19-2004, 01:18 PM
It looks like Pentax will send me the Optio 750Z for review. Stay tuned.

Endymion
10-20-2004, 02:36 AM
It looks like Pentax will send me the Optio 750Z for review. Stay tuned.

wow..what an information!! :) ..thanks for sharing it,i will stay tuned and i hope that your conclusions about this camera will confirm my beginner intuition..

D70FAN
10-20-2004, 07:02 AM
wow..what an information!! :) ..thanks for sharing it,i will stay tuned and i hope that your conclusions about this camera will confirm my beginner intuition..

Just out of couriosity... what do you find so intreguing about this camera?

Rhys
10-20-2004, 10:21 AM
I looked at http://www.dpreview.com/news/0408/04081604pentax_750z.asp to see what the guy has to say about the camera. The only noteworthy point seems to be that it will do 3D images. I guess that means it's on with the red and blue specs in order to see them.

It does have some modes:

Progaram
Aperture Priority AE
Shutter Priority AE
Metered Manual
Picture mode
Movie
3D image

There's nothing in this camera that's not done better by the Canon A75, given the 1/1.8" ccd. It's one of those 7 megapixels cameras that'll turn out to be somewhat noisy and fringy I guess.

Endymion
10-21-2004, 02:28 AM
Just out of couriosity... what do you find so intreguing about this camera?

This is only because I am very satisfied of this camera. but as a beginner in digital photography,I wish to have the opinion of persons more experienced with the intention to exploit to the better the possibilities of this camera..

and then also the fact that I find rather unfair the silence around this Optio 750Z compared to the G6 who does not seem to me specially better than the Pentax..

Endymion
10-21-2004, 02:32 AM
There's nothing in this camera that's not done better by the Canon A75, given the 1/1.8" ccd. It's one of those 7 megapixels cameras that'll turn out to be somewhat noisy and fringy I guess.

to my opinion..you guess wrong..but let's wait for a review by Jeff for this Camera and then we will see..

Halle24x
10-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Any idea when the review of the Pentax 750Z will be out? I have owned a Nikon Coolpix 880 since 2001 and have been a real fan of its all-around high-quality imaging and versatility. Would like to replace it with a model of similar image quality and am presently looking at the Coolpiz 5400 and the Optio 750Z (skipped the Canon lineup for personal reasons). But as my camera got shattered in the fjords this past week, need to replace it asap. Any suggestions? Thanks,

JHJ
Stavanger, Norway / Duluth, MN

D70FAN
10-22-2004, 04:49 PM
This is only because I am very satisfied of this camera. but as a beginner in digital photography,I wish to have the opinion of persons more experienced with the intention to exploit to the better the possibilities of this camera..

and then also the fact that I find rather unfair the silence around this Optio 750Z compared to the G6 who does not seem to me specially better than the Pentax..

So again, out of curiousity: If you are happy with the camera, why do you need validation? Just go make pictures, and don't worry about reviews.

Also you might want to post on the Pentax board, showing results, and sharing your experiences with the camera to generate more enthusiasm from Pentax users and for the Pentax brand. The Kodak guys have done this pretty successfully as have the Panasonic guys.

I'm sure that sharing experiences with other Pentax users will have a lot more value than bantering with people who have obviously never even picked up an Optio 750Z camera (like me).

Endymion
10-23-2004, 01:17 AM
So again, out of curiousity: If you are happy with the camera, why do you need validation? Just go make pictures, and don't worry about reviews.

Also you might want to post on the Pentax board, showing results, and sharing your experiences with the camera to generate more enthusiasm from Pentax users and for the Pentax brand. The Kodak guys have done this pretty successfully as have the Panasonic guys.

I'm sure that sharing experiences with other Pentax users will have a lot more value than bantering with people who have obviously never even picked up an Optio 750Z camera (like me).

a good test..it is a considerable potential of information for a beginner who can help him being better located in the use of his camera.

the utility to read reviews?..the answer seems simple to me: to learn.(not to buy because for me it is already done.)

many users in other forums (dpreview for example.) have asked questions about Pentax Optio 750Z but this camera did not benefit from the same feedback as G6..

and for the moment.on the Web,it is very difficult to get some informations on this camera,and personally I think it's unfair..therefore i tried to help as I could by posting some pictures and tried to answer the questions with my light knowledge.

I do not seek in particular a validation for the optio 750Z but rather a fair mediatic balance..Who will allow the eventual buyers to choose in good conditions..
don't worry..i am not going to return my camera after a negative review on the 750Z..the only thing that I ask..it's at least "one" technical review of the Optio 750Z!..do you think it's too much to ask ?..

Endymion
10-23-2004, 01:27 AM
Any idea when the review of the Pentax 750Z will be out? I have owned a Nikon Coolpix 880 since 2001 and have been a real fan of its all-around high-quality imaging and versatility. Would like to replace it with a model of similar image quality and am presently looking at the Coolpiz 5400 and the Optio 750Z (skipped the Canon lineup for personal reasons). But as my camera got shattered in the fjords this past week, need to replace it asap. Any suggestions? Thanks,

JHJ
Stavanger, Norway / Duluth, MN

Hello..at the moment..2 technical reviews of the Pentax Optio 750Z are on the way (one in Steve's digicam and one here in Dcresource..) but i can't tell you more about the dates of the release..

marklv
10-23-2004, 03:10 AM
Pentax is, IMHO, a 3rd rate pedlar of dodgy goods anyway so I agree with George in that it's no great loss.

I had a Pentax about 15 years ago and had to take it back then get the replacement repaired (twice) while still under guarantee. Even then it didn't work all that well. My Geology lecturer in university had had a Pentax and had had nothing but problems and failed even to get a repair under guarantee. Thus he'd chosen an alternative brand and refused to have anything to do with Pentax. Indeed, even a local camera shop in my home city advised me not to buy Pentax because their reliability even now is poor.

The phrase "you're not missing much" comes to mind when Pentax is mentioned.

Rhys,

You're an idiot; you should engage your brain before opening your mouth. :mad:

Pentax makes excellent cameras with equally outstanding lenses - always have done and always will do. They don't have the 'cool' image that Canon or Sony have, but instead of wasting money on marketing they use it to create excellent photographic devices. As for faulty cameras, Canon seem to be the experts in that field.

marklv
10-23-2004, 03:15 AM
I looked at http://www.dpreview.com/news/0408/04081604pentax_750z.asp to see what the guy has to say about the camera. The only noteworthy point seems to be that it will do 3D images. I guess that means it's on with the red and blue specs in order to see them.

It does have some modes:

Progaram
Aperture Priority AE
Shutter Priority AE
Metered Manual
Picture mode
Movie
3D image

Another stupid comment. On what basis do you make these criticisms? Have you seen samples of the Optio 750z's photos? I bet not. The 750z has a 5X zoom which your beloved Canon junk doesn't, plus a whole host of manual features that you'd have noticed if you had bothered to read the full spec.

explorer
10-23-2004, 03:51 AM
@ endymion & marklv,

LOL. i suggest you stop argueing with people who don't know about good/excellent cameras because they won't even understand what you are discussing here. the fact the they don't know about c750 is a proof that they only knew canon or sony cameras maybe. ignorant people doesn't deserve to own an excellent camera so stop telling them about c750...let them own the camera they deserve. :p

D70FAN
10-23-2004, 08:40 AM
@ endymion & marklv,

LOL. i suggest you stop argueing with people who don't know about good/excellent cameras because they won't even understand what you are discussing here. the fact the they don't know about c750 is a proof that they only knew canon or sony cameras maybe. ignorant people doesn't deserve to own an excellent camera so stop telling them about c750...let them own the camera they deserve. :p

To all of you. Just a sugestion:

Rather than bashing other members here, take your commentary up to the Pentax board, and support those who are using Pentax cameras. It's ok to state an opinion about a camera, but name calling is not acceptable.

Rhys
10-23-2004, 09:48 AM
I'm not really sure why I'm generating personal attacks for opinions that I've given that are clearly stated to be opinions.

Oddly enough, I found I'd be asked my opinion on something when I was in a camera club some 15 years ago. Then I'd be attacked for venturing my opinion. It all seemed very childish. That club eventually descended into cliques and in-fighting before collapsing.

It would be a pity if the same happened to dcresource, given that a few troublemakers have just made themselves known.

Jeff Keller
10-23-2004, 11:20 AM
I can't believe some of the personal attacks in this thread. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You will be banned if you insult others in our forums.