PDA

View Full Version : DX lenses will be a bad investment

K1W1
01-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Okay before we get started and before anybody gets upset and starts name calling I am posting this thread as a discussion topic. Think of it as a hypothetical on the Internet and lets see what we come up with.

My premise is this.
The beauty of the Nikon system is that virtually every lens will fit on virtually every body and can be used to take photographs. Yes there are limitations with older lenses and newer bodies as far as metering and the like is concerned but you can still use the lens to get a photo with some workarounds.
Newer DX lenses are designed for the APS size sensor found in current DSLR's so they have a much small viewable circle at the sensor. The advantage of this of course is smaller size, less weight and less cost.
With the ongoing megapixel race we are now starting to see larger sensors (APC?) appear, sensors that are similar in size to the old 35mm format. It's only logical that these sensors will start (more rapidly than we think usually) to migrate down the chain till they reach what is now the D50 equivalent camera.
So surely current DX lenses will produce to small a circle of light on larger sensors and will be useless (a bad investment) unless you want images with massive vinagretting thus ruing the whole Nikon system as we currently know it.

What do others think?

tekriter
01-12-2006, 06:03 AM
I think that with the introduction of the D200, Nikon has indicated that the smaller sensor is here to stay.

The D200 would have been a perfect opportunity to go to a full-frame sensor and they did not do that.

coldrain
01-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Although Nikon has said they will develop a full frame camera for the professional market, their shift in resources has put a big accent on APS-C size (DX). With Canon we see the opposite happening, their EF-S line up is rather small, and with the introduction of the EOS 5D it is clear they will keep pushing full frame down in price, and place more and more emphasis on full frame.

Although market situations can change things easily in the next few years, DX seems to be a better "investment" bet on Nikon than EF-S lenses are on Canon. Both APS-C and FF have advantages... FF gives better dynamic range (compare the 5D to the D200 to see the difference) and APS-C gives more compact, cheaper lenses.

erichlund
01-12-2006, 09:02 AM
I think that with the introduction of the D200, Nikon has indicated that the smaller sensor is here to stay.

The D200 would have been a perfect opportunity to go to a full-frame sensor and they did not do that.
Well, at least until they change their mind. :) Nikon is dependant on which sensors are available for purchase. I suspect that they currently see more potential in CCD technology, and CCD has a lot of room to grow in the APS size sensor. The APS size makes it possible to make a camera much cheaper than full frame, due to the die size and how many sensors you can get from a die. This is APS competitive advantage over full frame, more bang for the buck. As long as this is true, I suspect Nikon will stick with APS. The only external influence may simply be customer insistence. If Nikon can't sell APS cameras, they will switch to full frame. Gotta survive.

Cheers,
Eric