PDA

View Full Version : A rogue folder

Starship
01-11-2006, 09:14 AM
My problems started the other day when I turned on my camera (nikon coolpix 5400). I spun the dial to look at my pictures and after a pause, was told that Ļthis CF card cannot be read.Ļ I gasped and panic struck my face. After fiddling around a bit, order was restored, but this episode worried me. A lot.

A day or two later, after taking more photos, the problem returned. Whenever Iīd go to look at my photos, it would freeze and tell me it couldnīt read the card. Turning it off took between 30 seconds to 1 minute. At one point it just wouldnīt turn off. I could continue to take pictures, but couldnīt view them in any form. Finally I got the idea to boot it up in setup. Here I took a look at the folders. One of my folders that had had pictures earlier was now mysteriously empty, and when I tried opening it, it would freeze up again. I tried deleting it, but of course, the card could not be read.

I changed the folder that Iīd been shooting in to a different one and it ran beautifully. The folder name appeared on the screen while shooting, something that hadnīt happened when Iīd had problems.

This rogue folder is definately the root of my problems, but I canīt delete it. This makes me sad, and Iīm now out of ideas, having isolated for the most part, the problem.

Chucko
01-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Does the rogue folder persist if you format the card in the camera?