PDA

View Full Version : D50 Guides or books

Mike2002
01-10-2006, 09:10 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for a book on the Nikon D50 or similar that does has info like:

1) give basic set up's for various conditions (outdoor animals, hi speed race car shots, indoor basketball, outdoor baseball, etc) with details on how to adjust camera via the correct mode of aperture/shutter/etc using settings x or shutter speed settings x.

2) show me how to adjust the setting (which knob to adjust and in which direction and how to read the setting in the display)

3) if I get a dark photo then show me which setting to lighten it and vise vera if it is too light of a photo.

4) If I get a blurred photo, then how to adjust to decrease the blurred condition.

Keep in mind this is my first DSLR camera and I know nothing about.

I am just looking for a way to reduce the learning curve.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

ktixx
01-10-2006, 10:19 AM
You can try a short course (http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/book.htm) they say they have a D50 course in the works that will be out soon. To be honest with you, it seems that you just need a basic photography book. The only real thing that you need to know about your camera is how to adjust the settings. The settings (ie: aperture, Shutter speed, Exposure Comp., etc.) are exactly the same for every camera, digital or film and will affect the shot in pretty much the same way but, the buttons used to change them is unique to every camera.
Try getting a simple basic photography book to learn the basics (I bought one for $5 that was published in the 90's and didn't even speak of digital) and read your D50 manual to understand how to change the settings. The only thing that you will want to learn that is unique to digital photography is histograms, but you can research that on the web and learn all about it. Finally...practice...Nothing helps more than to be comfortable with your camera and know how to use it. Snap 100's of shots, play with the aperture and shutter speeds and see what happens.
Hope this helps
Ken

ktixx
01-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Here is a detailed reponse to your questions:

1) give basic set up's for various conditions (outdoor animals, hi speed race car shots, indoor basketball, outdoor baseball, etc) with details on how to adjust camera via the correct mode of aperture/shutter/etc using settings x or shutter speed settings x.

This will change for every scene and is entirely based on how much light is availabe. For darker situations, Higher ISO, Slower shutter speeds (not much slower than 1/40 for stationary and 1/250 for action), Wider aperture (f/1.8 - F/2.8). The more light you have available the faster the shutter speed (sharper pictures) and the smaller the aperture (clearer pictures ie: more Depth of Field (DOF))

DOF = Depth of Field - the wider (smaller f/number) the aperture the shorter (less distance in front of and behind the subject thats in focus) the DOF. The smaller the aperture (larger f/number) the greater the DOF

Shutter Speed = The shutter speed is how fast the shutter opens and closes. 1/500 = one 500th of a second to open and close. Anything with a solid number (ie: 1" or 30") equals the # of seconds. The faster the shutter speed (1/Large #) the faster action you can "stop". That is - if you are photographing a stationary object you can use shutter speeds such as 1/60 and have no problem, but if you are photographing Indy Cars going around a track you will need speeds over 1/500. Anything Slower than 1/40 will be difficult to hand hold and will need a tripod.

ISO = higher ISO = faster the light is captured. higher iso's produce more digitla noise (IE: pictures are not as clear and appear grainy)

2) show me how to adjust the setting (which knob to adjust and in which direction and how to read the setting in the display)

This is in your D50 manual

3) if I get a dark photo then show me which setting to lighten it and vise vera if it is too light of a photo.

Increase the ISO (see response 1) , Decrease the shutter speed (No too slow (see response 1)), wider apertures (not too wide or you will loose DOF (see response 1))

4) If I get a blurred photo, then how to adjust to decrease the blurred condition.

Increase ISO, wider apertures, faster shutter speed. The cause of blurry pictures is slower shutter speeds (See response 1)

Hope this helps: and again -- Get a book :)
Ken

Raymy
01-10-2006, 07:10 PM
I agree with a lot of what Ktixx says but if your still looking for Books try this one first.

Title: Nikon D50 Digital Field Guide
Author: David D. Busch
ISBN: 0471787469
Publisher: Hungry Minds Inc,U.S

Hope it helps.

Raymy