PDA

View Full Version : White Balance/RAW Question

kmancpbh
01-09-2006, 06:46 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but a digital newbie here.

The D-50 does not have a customizeable white balance option...and I will be taking pictures of beaches and rain forests that can be a problem for in-camera programmed light settings. However, my understanding of RAW captures are that I could take a picture of anything in RAW and then adjust the white balance (among other stuff) in something like Photoshop or Elements 4.0. Is this correct?

If so, then the white balance issue is not really that big a deal. Thanks! --K

D70FAN
01-09-2006, 08:57 AM

The D-50 does not have a customizeable white balance option...and I will be taking pictures of beaches and rain forests that can be a problem for in-camera programmed light settings. However, my understanding of RAW captures are that I could take a picture of anything in RAW and then adjust the white balance (among other stuff) in something like Photoshop or Elements 4.0. Is this correct?

The short answer is... yes, shooting in NEF, with the sun as your lightsource you will (theoretically) not care about WB. I generally check it anyway, just out of habit, since it will still affect your workflow.

tekriter
01-09-2006, 11:07 AM

Check your D50 owner's manual, page 79. It describes how to set a custom white balance.

kmancpbh
01-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replies and help...

I don't have a D-50...yet, but am leaning more and more towards buying this as opposed to a Panasonic FZ-30 as I learn more.

Thanks! :)

jcon
01-09-2006, 07:38 PM
If those are your two final choices, get the D50. Youll be very happy with that choice.

kmancpbh
01-09-2006, 07:46 PM
If those are your two final choices, get the D50. Youll be very happy with that choice.

Even though all I can afford are the 18-55mm kit, Sigma 70-300 APO f/4-5.6 and a Nikon 50mm 1.8?

jcon
01-09-2006, 08:23 PM
With those lenses youll have pretty much all ranges covered. That 50mm is an excellent lens. The Z30 suffers in low light, D50 does not, the Z30 is a VERY noisy camera, the D50 is not.(I have used both). Guess it depends what youll be shooting, but you wont go wrong with the D50.