PDA

View Full Version : Bought a D50 package with two Sigma Lens. Opinions wanted.

Quirkitized
01-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi, new to this forum and digital photography, especially now a Digital SLR. My previous digital cameras include a Vivitar 3715 (piece of crap...) and recently my fiance and I bought a Canon Powershot A610. I must say for a point and shoot camera, it is very good for sub $300.

Now that I've bored you with that... I'm wanting to get into more serious photo taking and feel too limited with P&S cameras so I just bought a Nikon D50 with 2 Sigma lenses. Some have told me the kit "sucks", the lenses are no good and what have you. Some have told me they are just fine and will suit me, since I'm just starting out as well.

Here is a link to the kit I purchased, I read the rules but I didn't see a rule stating no ebay links, hope you don't mind. Now mind you, this was $810 ($832 shipped.) If I was to buy it retail in the store I would have got the Camera body + the stock 18-55mm lense only (if thats the stock lens that comes kitted with it..)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7578737398&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Now I do realize that obviously, for the price I am definitely not getting high quality lenses and top notch product. I'm just wondering if anybody has these 2 lenses, or one of them and could maybe link me to some pictures they took with them? I did some research on the 70-300mm lense and I believe it's the non-APO verison, which I hope will still take some good shots.

I'll recieve this package on either Wednesday or Thursday and plan on taking some pictures at the local zoo as soon as I get it. In the mean time I would like others opinion on these lenses, some new ones for me to purchase that are better, or what have you.

I have read quite a bit and seen some posts like this, but couldn't find my perticulary lenses with the D50.

Lenses with the kit.
Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 High Speed Zoom Lens
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Macro Super II Zoom Lens

Quirkitized
01-08-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm going through this thread
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8089
and it's helping a lot, didnt see it. This looks like a great place to learn even more.

If anybody still would like to show me some pics with the lenses im getting, if anybody has them with the D50 that is...

K1W1
01-08-2006, 11:43 PM
People aren't ignoring you. Sometimes this forum is a little slow depending on the time of day and day of the week you post (people seem to be out taking pictures). It may take a day or two to get replies.

Quirkitized
01-09-2006, 12:08 AM
heh, when I posted it was 12:30am CST. I didn't really expect replies for quite some time. I work 3rd shift, so I'm just use to begin up this late :)

MikeKS
01-16-2006, 11:35 PM
hey, just wondering if you got your Camera from the ebay store. I was looking at some of these package deals and they seem pretty good for someone like myself who is thinking of entering the world of DSLR's. I wasn't too sure if i wanted to trust an ebay comp. I would like to hear about your experience with one.

coldrain
01-17-2006, 09:55 AM
The lenses of that "deal" are nothing special... the 28-70 is ok for a very cheap lens, but does not go very wide (the D50 kit lens is a better idea) and the 70-300 is not the APO DG version but also an older cheaper lens, that they need to get rid of.

You would be better of by getting a D50 with kit lens or other lens if you sort of know what you want.

Quirkitized
01-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Mike, the company I purchased from was great. You call them to verify credit card information or how you would like to pay for it. Good company, nice to talk to people for once! :) They have over 136,000 positive feedback !! :eek:

Coldrain, yeah the 28-70mm Sigma is not the best but it works ok. I don't use it to much unless I'm in doors. However the 70-300mm verison I got is actually the APO verison :). No the new "DG" but still atleast it's the APO Super Macro II. Finally learning how to take some good pictures with it. I just recently went to the zoo and got some good pictures. I use this lense almost all the time unless I need a wide shot or indoors, I use the 28-70 sigma.

Here are a couple shots with the D50 + 70-300mm APO

http://tmfiles.net/modules/pics/albums/Zoo_D50/20.jpg

http://tmfiles.net/modules/pics/albums/Zoo_D50/5.jpg

coldrain
01-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Very cool that it is the APO version :) and it is doing a great job I see. Just replace that Sigma over time with something nice when funds allow it... glad to hear you are enjoying your new toy!

Cold Snail
01-17-2006, 04:44 PM
The selection you have is perfect for starting out, some people have to have the fastest lens available, but these will do the job just fine.

When you get used to it, you may go on the quest for the more expensive lenses, it all depends on what you shoot.