PDA

View Full Version : D70 Shutter Life

bigcontainer
01-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Just a quick note:

My shutter just jammed - 62,270 shots.

Best guess I had prior to this was 50,000 shots.

Good job I have my D200 on order.

Is it worth getting my D70 repaired as a second body, or would one suggest thats its beyond economic repair?

Would be interested to know if anyone elses D70's have jammed, seized, stopped working, and if you're able to find out how many actuations that camera had been through. Has anyone else had to have a shutter replacement, and if so how much did it cost?

K1W1
01-07-2006, 05:27 PM
"beyond economic repair" depends on what the quote is.
At $200 I'd do it and $500 I'd buy a D50 (if I lived in the USA, here in Australia even $500 is still less than half a D70 body alone).

I've seen several reports on DPR of people with over 100,000 shutter releases on D70's and that they are still working fine.

bigcontainer
01-08-2006, 02:04 AM
For the record my shutter started playing up at around 55,000 actuations. It would occassionally stick but a gentle tap on the knee with the shutter presssed would see it start shooting again.

One is fairly confident that my D70 body was one of the original batch as I purchased it in the first month of its release in the UK, perhaps they have modified the shutter as its production has continued.

One futher question, how does the D50 differ to the D70s. After last nights experience I always want to have 2 bodies in the bag. A D70s body would be a bit of a stretch at the moment, but with a little creative shuffling of accounts we might just get there. But if the D50 would do then thats perfectly achievable, but what would I be missing. I'm already committed for a D200 so thats my primary - just need a secondary so I never have to stop shooting in the second quarter again...

K1W1
01-08-2006, 02:27 AM
Check Jeffs review of the D50. He has a point by point comparison with the D70s.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d50-review/index.shtml

Really the major practical difference is media. The D50 uses SD cards not CF like the D70 or D200. That may or may not be an issue for you.

P.S. What UK sport is played in quarters? The only thing I can think of is Netball.

bigcontainer
01-08-2006, 02:51 AM
Yes, the SD card is an issue. I carry 2.5 GB of Compact Flash. So although the D50 is a great price the difference to a D70s would be filled with the purchase of enough memory. Thank you for the information, the next question I have to ask my repair shop is just how much to put in a new shutter, although the hotshoe got ripped off so I have no access to flash, perhaps I should just save up for a second D200?

We do play basketball in the UK :)

Gallery from my D70's last gasp of breath. 62,270 actuations. R.I.P. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportpictures/sets/1785634/)

Esoterra
01-08-2006, 08:50 AM
These are great questions. While I was speaking to the Nikon Service Department, I asked them the life of the shutter on my D70s and cost to replace it when neccessary. I was told that mileage may vary, but 100,000 actuations is average. I was also told that to fix the shutter mechanism costs around $200 and it comes with a free cleaning. This is out of southern California and I am not quite sure how the prices might vary in the UK. If I were in your shoes, I would try to fix your D70 hotshoe and shutter and save yourself the money of buying 2 new cameras if its cheaper- once you get an estimate.

Hope this helps