PDA

View Full Version : Focus issues?

jcon
01-07-2006, 01:43 PM
I am not sure if its me or what, but it seems all my photos from the D50 and Sigma 18-125 are comming out soft or blurry. The camera says its in focus when I snap but when I view them on my PC(XP) they look out of focus or blurry. However, when I click on the zoom or "view full size" icon and then back to "fit to screen" it doesnt appear out of focus or blurry anymore. I have included a link to one sample picture I took today, its not the best picture but shows my problem. You can view the original size here also. Does it look out of focus to you guys? Am I doing something wrong?

http://community.webshots.com/user/jconjason

ktixx
01-07-2006, 02:01 PM
I really don't notice that it is out of focus. Basically the things that will contribute to out of focus pictures (with the exception of a broken lens/camera) are:
1: Improper focus (ie: wrong focus point selected)
2: Slow shutter speed (anything less than 1/focal length), nothing slower than 1/40 handheld
3: Wide apertures (not too big of a deal with the 18-125 but smaller the f/stop = smaller the DOF
Make sure you have all those issues in line, then try shooting again. If you are still having problems you may have a problem with your lens and may need to send it back to sigma.
Ken

coldrain
01-07-2006, 02:10 PM
I am not sure if its me or what, but it seems all my photos from the D50 and Sigma 18-125 are comming out soft or blurry. The camera says its in focus when I snap but when I view them on my PC(XP) they look out of focus or blurry. However, when I click on the zoom or "view full size" icon and then back to "fit to screen" it doesnt appear out of focus or blurry anymore. I have included a link to one sample picture I took today, its not the best picture but shows my problem. You can view the original size here also. Does it look out of focus to you guys? Am I doing something wrong?

http://community.webshots.com/user/jconjason
I am not sure what you find "out of focus", can you be more specific? the tanks in the middle are nice and sharp, and the text on that sign in the grass is very easily readable. Maybe you find not everything in the photo sharp? That is normal though, it is known as Depth Of Field, and you get a more shallow DOF with a larger aperture, and bigger DOF with a smaller aperture. Also, the bright light of the sky seeming to go around the blue tubes is normal. The lens makes nicely sharp photos.

jcon
01-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys, I think its me, I noticed that after posting the picture it looked ok. I believe it was the DOF. When the battery is charged again, Ill shoot some more, I think it was just the user that was faulty :D

D70FAN
01-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey those "tall ones" look great to me... and the picture is good as well. I used to go to LaCross quite a bit. That used to be an Old Style "jumbo sixer" back then.

Looks like your 18-125 works as well as mine... damn good for a sub $300 lens. I will be posting side-by-sides against a Nikkor 18-35 f/2.8 ($1500) next week. Surprisingly, the 18-125 holds its own... well maybe not for low light.;)

jcon
01-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Yep, youre exactly right, George! Very coincidental that youve been to LAX and now live in the desert, just the same as my brother! I am very happy with the the Sigma lens, after taking some more shots. I look forward to your comparison. Any plans to visit LAX anytime soon?

Heres a pic I just took tonight at my friends house. This lens is pretty good!