PDA

View Full Version : Noise at High ISO - who wins, Nikon or Canon

Martoon
01-06-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm new to digital SLR's. But I'm wondering about "noise," which I'm constantly hearing about.

I used to like the results I got on black and white film with film rated at 32 hundred (I like the grainy images).

I'm considering either a Nikon D-70 or Canon XT. My old film camera was a Nikon 20/20 with a couple of Nikkor Lenses (a 28mm and a 50mm).

I was told that Canon has much less noise at high film speeds. Is this true?

Also, can anybody describe to me how "noise" appears or alters the image.

Would you recommend I buy a Nikon digital body and use my old Nikkor AF lenses?

Thanks

Jason25
01-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Both are great performers at high ISO settings. I shoot my D50 at high ISO regularly without real issue. If you already have Nikkors, might as well save some cash and get the D70s.

timmciglobal
01-06-2006, 12:54 PM
IMHO, Nikon wins in lumi noise area (bright areas have less noise) where as canon wins in the shadow area (shadow areas have less noise)

Keep in mind, the D70 has more noise then the D50.

Tim

D70FAN
01-06-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm new to digital SLR's. But I'm wondering about "noise," which I'm constantly hearing about.

I used to like the results I got on black and white film with film rated at 32 hundred (I like the grainy images).

I'm considering either a Nikon D-70 or Canon XT. My old film camera was a Nikon 20/20 with a couple of Nikkor Lenses (a 28mm and a 50mm).

I was told that Canon has much less noise at high film speeds. Is this true?

Also, can anybody describe to me how "noise" appears or alters the image.

Would you recommend I buy a Nikon digital body and use my old Nikkor AF lenses?

Thanks

You will get a lot of opinions here, but the bottom line is that if you print over 8 x 10 ISO 1600 is not a good idea anyway, and even 8 x 10 may be objectionable. Canon's 350D and 20D are marginally better than the D70s and marginally worse than the D50.

Noise (on most dSLR's) generally appears as grain, similar to film. If you have used 800 or 1600 speed film the results from most digital cameras is similar. At normal ISO's of 100-800 it's pretty much a don't care.

Since you have two good standard Nikkor AF lenses, the D70s or D50 would work great.

coldrain
01-06-2006, 01:21 PM
The 350D actually performs significantly worse at high ISO (800 and 1600) than the 20D... The D50 is relativily noise free. The Nikons have more luminance noise, the Canons more chromatic noise (as far as I know and understand).

For ISO 1600 photos I probably would choose a D50 over a 350D, but I would have to research the matter a bit more. The 20D is of course the more expensive option, and performs quite well at higher ISO's.

If you have too much to spend, the EOS 5D gives remarkable results.

phatkid77
01-07-2006, 07:29 PM
i just remembered a question.....been forgetting it for 3 days..

can Nikon alter the noise or any such thing via firmware to bring the picture quality of the D70s up to the D50.......

i'd think they would want to do something like that??

thanks (glad i remembered..)

*see how long for the knowledgeable Mr coldrain to respond..*