PDA

View Full Version : Fake Sandisk Ultra II 2GB SD bought off EBAY!!

Comatose
01-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Needless to say, im royally pissed! I guess the saying goes - things that appear to good to be true usually are!!

I bought a "Brand New 2G SanDisk Ultra II SD Card" off ebay.. managed to snag it at $112usd (+ $17 shipping)
First bad signs were:
- no retail packaging (tho this was as described)
- the contacts showed wear

Raising my suspicion, I ran out to buy an authentic retail card to do some comparisons. I've compiled my findings at:

http://members.shaw.ca/fakesandisk/

The seller has now made his feedback private to hide what i had left behind. Likely he'll resurface under a new account. Buyers beware~

PS, the seller did offer a full refund, but that doesn't make the wrong doings right!

cdifoto
01-05-2006, 10:49 PM
How do you KNOW it's a fake? There usually are discrepancies from one card to another...they're usually made by different manufacturers at different plants via subcontracting.

You even admit that performance is the same...so what's your problem? Your seller offered you a refund...if it bothers you THAT much, return and get your money back. Going on a rampage accomplishes nothing.

Chances of him going into hiding, as you say, and then resurfacing are slim to none. His feedback is still pretty good.

A true fraud would have a satisfaction/feedback rating much much lower than 99.2%.

TampaJim
01-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Sandisk would have been a more appropriate place to start. First, they could have/would have confirmed or denied whether the card was authentic. Secondly, if it is a fake they would love to compensate you for the card, the studies and the information needed to send this guy into orbit.

From what you have displayed - it most likely is a fake. I would still persue it with Sandisk. I would also recommend that in the future, you don't "telegraph" your punches - instead of leaving him feedback like that, Sandisk would have much preferred you making an additional purchase for them - complete with a US Postal Inspector/US Marshal at the other end of the transaction!

Matthew
01-10-2006, 08:05 AM
TampaJim is right. If the guy knowingly sold you this, he committed fraud and you should have busted him. That said, your research is impressive. I just think the way you handled it didn't accomplish much.

I know, for example, that there are significant differences between my two Sandisk CF 1gb Ultra II's.

Comatose
01-17-2006, 10:03 AM
How do I know? Perhaps if you paid a little more attention to my findings then it would be pretty evident. Yes hardware manufacturing will often go thru revisions -- but the one thing that does *NOT* change is their serial numbering convention nor the amount of actual flash space available. Even their OEM memory cards relabelled by other brands (e.g. Toshiba) still report "Sandisk" when you run it under Card Info. This one clearly did not.
(and incase you're wondering, yes Sandisk has confirmed with me that it is indeed a counterfeit)

I do admit performance is is not that far off. Whats the problem? I didn't pay $$$ for a knockoff, I paid for an authentic. If the knockoff falls apart on me (like many counterfeit memory sticks have been reported to) in 1 year, do you think the ebay seller is going to exchange a new one for me? Fat chance .. an authentic Sandisk however, carries a lifetime warranty.

A *POOR* fraud would have a much lower rating. A good fraud wouldn't .. as obviously typical end-consumers like yourself wouldn't even had the slightest clue that the product you purchased was a counterfeit.

Is this "rampage" accomplishing nothing? I would certainly hope at minimum I'm able to educate and raise their awareness of the general public.

How do you KNOW it's a fake? There usually are discrepancies from one card to another...they're usually made by different manufacturers at different plants via subcontracting.

You even admit that performance is the same...so what's your problem? Your seller offered you a refund...if it bothers you THAT much, return and get your money back. Going on a rampage accomplishes nothing.

Chances of him going into hiding, as you say, and then resurfacing are slim to none. His feedback is still pretty good.

A true fraud would have a satisfaction/feedback rating much much lower than 99.2%.

blown-z
02-02-2006, 04:20 AM
I’m the ebay seller "blown-z". I figured I would step in and let people know the truth about my products. Here is a picture of what my SanDisk Ultra 2G SD cards really look like:
http://home.comcast.net/~supremesolutions/photos/ult2I.jpg

You will notice the serial numbers and the look of the card so you can call SanDisk to verify how 100% original it really is. Then if you think well it’s just a picture then go to my auction below and buy one. All name brand products I sell are 100% original. If you have any questions before buying feel free to contact me. Check out my other items if you don’t need a SanDisk Ultra 2GB sd. I supply just about every memory card out there in all different memory capacities. Im a bulk seller for many different companies; Fuji, olympus, SanDisk, Toshiba, Kingston, and more.If you don’t see what you need then ask and Ill see if I can get it.
Buy an Ultra II SanDisk 2gb SD card here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7586387593&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Thank You!

Comatose
02-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Uhhmm right. And as you can see from the pictures on my site (http://members.shaw.ca/fakesandisk/), the one I purchased off you had a serial number printed on the back of the card as well, just as your photos have displayed -- I dont think that really proves anything. Plastics, labels, print -- sure, they can vary. The electronic serial number inside the card is what I'm after.

You also list a number of reputable brands for memory cards you sell.
Care to elaborate on who makes this card you sell in your auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/2GB-Secure-Digital-2-GB-SD-2-G-Memory-Card-2G_... (http://cgi.ebay.com/2GB-Secure-Digital-2-GB-SD-2-G-Memory-Card-2G_W0QQitemZ7587114203QQcategoryZ103409QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem))?

http://home.comcast.net/~supremesolutions/photos/2GSD.jpg

Matthew
02-03-2006, 07:39 AM
No one wants to see either of your mudslinging. Please, can someone close this pos thread?

Comatose
02-03-2006, 11:14 AM
No one wants to see either of your mudslinging. Please, can someone close this pos thread?

I dont think this thread has degraded to any "mudslinging" yet, and you do have the option of not viewing this thread.

If the contents of this thread does degrade to inappropriate comments that negatively affects this forum, then I agree the moderators should lock it. But until then, I think Blown-Z has the right to defend his reputation or to clear up any information he believes to be incorrect.

Toneman
02-09-2006, 07:36 AM

Helping the consumer make valuable decisions is not mudslinging. Also, these exchanges do not demonstrate mudsligging. More of a debate, I would say.

I too was dupped by blown-z on an eBay purchase.

eBay item #7582715369

See response from SanDisk below:

SanDisk Response: (02/08/2006 08:30)
Hello Tony,

Based on the information provided in your email, We regret to inform you that you purchased a counterfeit item.

The serial number you provided does not match the capacity of your product. This is typical for (unfortunately) many of the counterfeit items sold on the internet. Another typical indication of a counterfeit item is the immediate failure (normally within a week). I hope you can obtain a refund/return from the seller. Any troubleshooting of this non-Sandisk device is useless. I apologize but because of this, we will not be able to provide you with any kind of support.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact our technical support department at one of the numbers below.

Sincerely,
Darin P.
Sandisk Technical support

Seller refused to offer me a refund. He has good ratings because you will not know you have purchased a counterfeit item until you are in need of support. When support is needed, you will not get it and it will be to late to use PayPal Buyer Protection (Your claim must be filed within 45 days of payment). Most people will leave feedback, not nowing they have just bought an inferiour product until it is too late.

The eBay ratings for blown-z are misleading

Hope this helps!! Keep up the good work Comatose!

Toneman

tim11
02-09-2006, 05:17 PM
I also don't see this thread as mudslinging.
When you buy a product labelled as BRAND A, you deserve to get exactly BRAND A, not B or C. Fair enough.
I guess someone people can just think anyone can type up similar email response (pretending to be) from Sandisk?
I wonder if Toneman can provide Sandisk Technical Support phone numbers and emails for those who need verification?
If Blown-z's products is genuine, he will be able to explain the matter further and clear up for everyone.

Rhys
02-09-2006, 05:49 PM
It sounds like another ebay squabble and makes me rather pleased I don't use ebay.

ktixx
02-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Needless to say, im royally pissed! I guess the saying goes - things that appear to good to be true usually are!!

I bought a "Brand New 2G SanDisk Ultra II SD Card" off ebay.. managed to snag it at $112usd (+ $17 shipping)
First bad signs were:
- no retail packaging (tho this was as described)
- the contacts showed wear

Everyone is talking about the fraud that happened and how much of a scam this is...etc. That is not the problem I see here. The real problem here is why the heck did you pay $129.00 for an SD ultra II card from eBay, when you could have bought a retail packaged card from a reputable company (like B&H) for $91.00 including shipping (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=353123&is=REG&addedTroughType=search) or better yet $85.00 including shipping from www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820180616)?
I agree 100% that you got scammed on EBay and I am really sorry to hear that, but if you just did some research you would have a brand new, genuine Sandisk card for less than your imitation..
I realize that you purchased this card a month ago, but I find it hard to believe that 2GB memory cards have dropped over $40 in one month..and even if it was $140 with shipping (from a reputable store) I would always have chosen that path...
This is not meant to be a critical remark..I just am saying that proper research on all internet purchases is the most important part...

Comatose
02-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Heh, *sigh.. ya believe it :( The prices have dropped *dramatically* just this week. Im typically quite aware of deals going on for things I buy -- at that time I made the ebay purchase it was still being sold for about 180-200usd. And like you've stated, they're about half the price now...

Everyone is talking about the fraud that happened and how much of a scam this is...etc. That is not the problem I see here. The real problem here is why the heck did you pay $129.00 for an SD ultra II card from eBay, when you could have bought a retail packaged card from a reputable company (like B&H) for $91.00 including shipping (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=353123&is=REG&addedTroughType=search) or better yet $85.00 including shipping from www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820180616)?
I agree 100% that you got scammed on EBay and I am really sorry to hear that, but if you just did some research you would have a brand new, genuine Sandisk card for less than your imitation..
I realize that you purchased this card a month ago, but I find it hard to believe that 2GB memory cards have dropped over $40 in one month..and even if it was $140 with shipping (from a reputable store) I would always have chosen that path...
This is not meant to be a critical remark..I just am saying that proper research on all internet purchases is the most important part...

blown-z
02-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Well I had to contact sandisk about this issue. They have 2 types of serial numbers one is a 7 digit and the other is a 13 digit. The products coming from Taiwan are 13 digit numbers. I yelled at the tech from SanDisk USA and said why the hell are people calling saying my products are fake. I told him would you like to call my sandisk rep in TW to verify? The response I pretty much got was I get thousands of phone calls a day dealing with fake cards. 99% come from the internet mostly ebay. Just get on ebay and look at how many sellers are from hongkong. Everything they sell is fake. China doesnt have to follow USA rules. If I was indeed selling fake products dont you think SanDisk would contact me. I sell a shit load of there products every day. All i can say is your talking to a guy sitting behind a desk answering a phone all day that makes $8/hr. The less work they do the better. How much does a guy answering phone know or really care? If SanDisk USA wants to contact me Ill be more then happy to talk with them

Toneman
02-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Sandisk was mistaken when they first said my Sandisk 2G Secure Digital was counterfeit. I had another ticket opened with Sandisk and they honored my warranty, using the same serial and pictures from the previous support ticket.

Seems Sandisk may be quick to judge, once they hear it was bought off Ebay.

Anyways, turns out my issue was the Card Reader and not my 2G SD after all.

Toneman

male30s
03-05-2006, 06:30 AM
Blown-z!! All I heard from you was excuses after excuses!!! Stop blaming your mistake on someone else. I doubt it it was a genuine card anyway and you know for a fact that it was a fake card from the start!! Why did you offer a refund to him if you believe what you sold was a genuine card??? If you aske me, it sounds fishy to me!! Why do you stop selling on eBay?? You know damn well the people you ripped off will come after you??? Stop blaming sellers from Hong Kong and China for selling fake cards...you ain't that different!!! I am an American, you think there's no counterfeit cards in the US, there are more fake cards then you can imagine!!! I agree the police should be notified and you pay for robbing other people's hard earned money!!

Well I had to contact sandisk about this issue. They have 2 types of serial numbers one is a 7 digit and the other is a 13 digit. The products coming from Taiwan are 13 digit numbers. I yelled at the tech from SanDisk USA and said why the hell are people calling saying my products are fake. I told him would you like to call my sandisk rep in TW to verify? The response I pretty much got was I get thousands of phone calls a day dealing with fake cards. 99% come from the internet mostly ebay. Just get on ebay and look at how many sellers are from hongkong. Everything they sell is fake. China doesnt have to follow USA rules. If I was indeed selling fake products dont you think SanDisk would contact me. I sell a shit load of there products every day. All i can say is your talking to a guy sitting behind a desk answering a phone all day that makes $8/hr. The less work they do the better. How much does a guy answering phone know or really care? If SanDisk USA wants to contact me Ill be more then happy to talk with them

Digital_Analog
04-16-2006, 05:04 PM
(I believe TONEMAN owes BLOWN-Z an apology)

I find all of this very interesting. Why did Sandisk first say Toneman's card was a fake, and then retract that?

What irks me just as much is that BLOWN-Z (and many other ebay sellers) get away with charging these ridiculous shipping/handling/insurance fees.

He charges $16 for "handling", (but shipping is free). Then he charges $4 for "self" insurance.

To send such a package ANYWHERE in the USA via USPS Priority Mail is $4.05 (even cheaper for Parcel Post). Insurance up to $100 is $2.30 ($200 is $3.35). You can do the rest of the mathematics.

Also, I happen to believe that the basic idea of "self" insurance by these sellers is illegal. Since when does a vendor/shipper have a right to now sell insurance to the public? Don't you need to be licensed in some way to do this?

Anyway, I still think that this baloney about "handling" costs is absurd. So he charges you $20 for shipping/handling/insurance for something that probably costs him $6.30. And don't give me that BS about the cost of packing material and your time and effort in shipping the items. It's a basic cost of doing business and that's that. Also, with Priority Mail the boxes are FREE from USPS.

JPW2020
04-17-2006, 01:32 PM
This is indeed indeed interesting.However this forum does not exist for the purpose of filing complaints against eBay or its sellers.There are independent agencies for that.
I hope it is fairly well known that if you buy off eBay there are risks whether it is memory Cards or whatever.About 3 months ago I bought a 2GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card off a different seller,Hong Kong based,I thought about it but decided to take a chance as the price was good and feedback was also.This card was described as and was properly packaged and so far has been totally reliable but reading these posts will it continue to be?I hope so.For me an alarm bell would have rung for Comatose's purchase as there was no proper packaging(as described).I will notify this forum should I have any problems on my purchase.
As an enthusiastic consumer,not a business,I have bought and sold some Camera equipment(including both Cameras and Memory Cards) thru eBay and so far have never given or encountered a problem.However it can never be said often enough,if you buy off eBay do your homework about the item in question,check feedback and enter into the transaction with your eyes open-dont just check the price but also the postage and the insurance.Compare with other internet prices.If it looks too good to be true it probably is.It is not the same as buying from a high street store or an established internet business-there are risks.

niceguyvt1
04-26-2006, 06:41 PM
After 3 days had passed since I had paid for a 1gb and a 2gb "sansdisk" sd memory card I had heard nothing from the seller so I decided to google his user name which brought me to this forum. After reading this post I e-mailed the seller to ask if in fact these were real sandisk cards, no response so after 2 more days had passed I e-mailed again once again I received no reply. Finally on the 8th day I received a e-mail that the 1gb card was being shipped but no answer to my question if it was really a sandisk brand card. If you notice on his listing some cards actually have sandisk written on them but other of which the color and design are the same but do not say sandisk on them? I decided to leave neg. feedback for this user on ebay because there being still no reply to where my 2 gb card was and a answer to if they were sandisk brand. In return he left me neg. feedback and canceled my 2gb card order that he stated had already been shipped, yea right!!! Well I called sandisk corporate and gave them the details, they informed me that they were investigating a few different sellers on ebay and this could be one of the sellers but could not give me any details. They are interest in getting the ser. # of the 1gb card when I receive it. I would be careful dealing with this ebayer!!!!!!!!

Pixel8
07-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Take eBay feedback with many grains of salt. A bad seller may still have a high positive rating. How, you may ask? Just a few of many reasons you don't see neg fdbk:
If the seller is shady they have refined their technique regarding feedback. Many ebay users are aware that if they leave justified negative feedback for a scam artist, they will get negative feedback on themselves in return. Ebay won't touch that, for legal reasons, but they do allow feedback to be mutually withdrawn.
Most people leave fdbk right after they open the box, or turn the thing on. You won't realize you've been had until after that in many cases. With counterfeit SD cards most users will never know it - if the card does go bad most of them will blame themselves, if it's after the _real_ warrantee would have expired they figure they're out of luck. They've already left positive fbk... so you'll never see this in the scam artist's ratings.

My 2c: With eBay you are usually dealing with an effecively anonymous seller. eBay is a handy as way to locate odd things, to take a chance on something used, and for price comparisons. Otherwise it's worth paying 15% or so more to deal with a reseller with an identity you know and who accepts returns; a large mail order house like NewEgg or a well known store like OneCall or B&H. Factor in the inflated, nonrefundable shipping charged by most ebay sellers and an occasional return and you can be dollars ahead buying from a "real" seller.
Even better is a store small enough to need *your* business. If you do stumble across an eBay seller who is totally honest, bookmark them for future use.

Vich
07-31-2006, 12:16 AM
WAY TOO MANY 1st POST MEMBERS HERE.

This thread is obviously the result of some sort of planned attack.

I can't figure it out, but this ain't the place.

As someone pointed out, the prices mentioned here are far above BH PhotoVideo.com and other reputable internet sellers.

skabursk
08-14-2006, 03:06 PM
I bought two SanDisk Extreme cards on EBay that were fakes and the seller refunded the money. Had someone not warned me, I would have taken them into the Himalayas in October thinking that they worked in extreme cold. Also, it took 10 minuets (600 seconds) instead of 30 seconds to download 600 megs with the 8 gig card and three times longer with the 4 gig card.

I have contacted a number of EBay buyers of these cards asking for their speeds. Only one had the 20 megs /second card, the others are filing a dispute with EBay. It appears that most unauthorized sellers of these cards are frauds and should be removed from EBay. How can anyone be so naive as to buy from a seller who keeps feedback private?

tushar43
08-19-2006, 07:25 PM
I purchased 2 GB SD card from supreme solutions (blown-z ebay id) and it was not working so i sent it back to him but now he is not returning my money nor sending the card back. He is big cheater and i will get my money out of him at any cost

skabursk
08-19-2006, 07:43 PM
You have to go to EBay's dispute resolution. Check EBay's page on SanDisk fakes by typing in those words in EBay's search line. MOst sellers refund if hey want to stay on their site. You may want to contact some other buyers from teh vendor to warn them about the card and have them go to the dispute resolution.

deoge
08-26-2006, 03:15 PM
blawn z if he is the sameone that sells mp3 4gb players has i think did me in too

Zoomer
08-28-2006, 11:56 AM
What irks me just as much is that BLOWN-Z (and many other ebay sellers) get away with charging these ridiculous shipping/handling/insurance fees.

He charges $16 for "handling", (but shipping is free). Then he charges $4 for "self" insurance.

High "shipping" charges are an attempt to lower the fees owed to ebay ( fees are charged based on auction price - not shipping charges). The final price is what really matters, unless a refund is only offered on the price and not the "shipping" costs.

tim11
09-04-2006, 09:32 PM
WAY TOO MANY 1st POST MEMBERS HERE.

This thread is obviously the result of some sort of planned attack.

I can't figure it out, but this ain't the place.

I begin to see the trend too. Now there is another thread on Blown-Z by another new poster, and gripes confirmed by another new poster!

Dcent
09-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Hi !

I have just registered in this forum because I'm also pissed with this shit !!

I bought a Sandisk CF Extreme III 4Gb for 70 Euros, a bargain of course; I receive today and the first thing I notice is that the label is a litle bit diferente than my other 4 (original) 1Gb Extreme III cards... that is not a problem I think that is normal, diferent factorys, diferent series, diferent size of cards .. well it is normal to have little diferences in the label.
WHAT IS NOT NORMAL IS THE STUPID PERFORMANCE!!!

This 4Gb card as almost 70% of the speed of the 1Gb ones !! It is a HUGE diference.

This is based on simple tests made by me but I use CF cards long time now and can garantie that this is not normal .

The most incredible is that the card arrived to me in a retail box exactly equal to Sandisk with carry case and RescuePro just EXACTLY as Sandisk cards are sold !!!!

This happens just now and I'm really not sure what to do; the seller ( feihua*_* ) the link ( http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260025885372&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016 )

Report.. not report.. the guy hidden his votes for we can not see the coments, I remember that he was selling 1 card every half an hour for days !!.. I should receive another tomorrow...

.. Just would like to brake his face...

skabursk
09-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Go to EBay's page on SanDisk fakes. SanDisk has a page as well with suggestions. 70% speed is not bad I got onme at 5% speed.