PDA

View Full Version : funny noises inside the camera

rocdoc
01-05-2006, 03:23 PM
OK, this is probably a really stupid question:

Balancing my D50 in my hand I can hear noise like a small piece basculating or shifting about inside the camera. It has a tapering oscilation temporal quality to it, ie I induce it at a certain frequency by a sharp move of the camera, and then it sounds like a progressively reduced amplitude and increased frequency of the move, until it disappears. Is that normal? Geez, reading this I realize it sounds like I have way too much time on my hands, which I actually don't!... Anyway, is the mirror supposed to be slightly mobile, is that what this is? Or do I have something loose in there? So far the camera seems to operate fine, and the pictures are good. If I knew how, I would post some.

Thank you for your help

D70FAN
01-05-2006, 03:39 PM
OK, this is probably a really stupid question:

Balancing my D50 in my hand I can hear noise like a small piece basculating or shifting about inside the camera. It has a tapering oscilation temporal quality to it, ie I induce it at a certain frequency by a sharp move of the camera, and then it sounds like a progressively reduced amplitude and increased frequency of the move, until it disappears. Is that normal? Geez, reading this I realize it sounds like I have way too much time on my hands, which I actually don't!... Anyway, is the mirror supposed to be slightly mobile, is that what this is? Or do I have something loose in there? So far the camera seems to operate fine, and the pictures are good. If I knew how, I would post some.

Thank you for your help

I would have thought they would charge extra for that feature...

... only kidding... it may be the vertical shot sensor. When in doubt ask Nikon...;)

erichlund
01-05-2006, 05:31 PM
I would have thought they would charge extra for that feature...

... only kidding... it may be the vertical shot sensor. When in doubt ask Nikon...;)
The vertical shot sensor was going to get my vote as well, but I've never actually listened to my camera for it.

tekriter
01-05-2006, 05:41 PM
My handy D50 makes that same sound, an oscillating but gradually dampening sound whenever I orient it from a horizontal to a vertical, or vice versa.

Ain't nothin' to worry about...

rocdoc
01-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Many thanks to all of you, for alleviating my paranoia.
I will now play with my new toy with renewed glee! :)
If I figure out how, I will post some pictures too.
Cheers
C

D70FAN
01-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Many thanks to all of you, for alleviating my paranoia.
I will now play with my new toy with renewed glee! :)
If I figure out how, I will post some pictures too.
Cheers
C

It's EZ. Just follow the directions for posting. Also please reduce the size to 800 pixels horizontally (800x600 or close) as then we don't have to scroll.;)

K1W1
01-05-2006, 09:27 PM
I wish I have $1 for every time I've seen this question asked on forums. Maybe Nikon should take a hint and put an explanation in their user manuals in large bold print.
(There again, how many times do we see questions asked that are clearly answered in user manual). :-)

Bullitt
01-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Mine does the same thing doc, no problems though, and if I remember right my D70 made the same noise when I had it...