PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Capture Software is it worth it?

RedBaron
01-03-2006, 11:29 PM
I have searched but can't find anything on this. Is the software worth the $100?

I just got my camera Christmas Eve and waiting on a 1 gig card to arrive. So I have been using a 256 meg card and haven't played with large file settings on the camera. Currently saving pics in JPEG. If I start taking pics in NEF format. What happens when I email them to someone, will they need special software to view?

Once my 1 gig card arrives this week. I would like to start shooting in NEF+JPEG Basic. If I read something correct Nikon Capture is the only software that can read NEF, is that correct? (Then I could email the JPEG pic)

If a picture was taken in NEF, could be be converted to JPEG?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am traveling on the road and left the owners book at home.

Thanks,

K1W1
01-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Lots of programs (including Microsoft viewer built into Windows and Picassa) can read NEF files to view them but not many can correctly manipluate them to adjust WB, shadows, highlights, etc.
Your options to manipulate RAW are Nikon Editor (included free with your camera), Adobe Photoshop or Elements 4, Raw Shooter Premium 2006 (was on special for US$79) or Bibble. There are others but these are probably the main ones. RAW Shooter Essentials 2005 (free download) will "sort of" work with NEFs at least enough to let you decide whether you like the program and want to buy the full version. There is also a 30 day trial version of Capture available.
Once you have manipulated the pic in whatever program you use you then save it into another format (jpeg, tif, etc) for distribution or printing. You would sent the final saved version to your friends in most cases not the original unedited RAW version.
I personally quite like RAW Shooter Premium, it has a very good workflow and is quick to adjust multiple images. Others swear by Nikon Capture on the basis that only Nikon know fully how to get the best from Nikon cameras. You will need to make up your own mind based on what you take pictures of and how you want the end results to look.
My suggestion is to take a couple of NEF images and use Nikon View and Nikon Editor to have a little play. Editor is fairly basic but it will give you the idea of what you can do.
There are RAW image programs for MAC's but I will let others comment on those.

D70FAN
01-04-2006, 06:39 AM
I have searched but can't find anything on this. Is the software worth the $100?

I just got my camera Christmas Eve and waiting on a 1 gig card to arrive. So I have been using a 256 meg card and haven't played with large file settings on the camera. Currently saving pics in JPEG. If I start taking pics in NEF format. What happens when I email them to someone, will they need special software to view?

Once my 1 gig card arrives this week. I would like to start shooting in NEF+JPEG Basic. If I read something correct Nikon Capture is the only software that can read NEF, is that correct? (Then I could email the JPEG pic)

If a picture was taken in NEF, could be be converted to JPEG?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am traveling on the road and left the owners book at home.

Thanks,

Yes Nikon Capture is worth $100. I have used RSE (RAW Shooter Essentials), the photoshop plug-in, and UFRAW (used with GIMP) and Nikon Capture gives the most consistant results. In addition it has several features D-Lighting, Vignette Control, and Fisheye Lens, that are somewhat unique and all work very well. Batch processing is pretty quick, and you can save the copies in whatever format you like. For Nikon users NC4 is the way to go.

RedBaron
01-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the update. I will get Nikon Capture.

My Nikon D50 takes great pics that are about 1.5 meg each (until the big card comes in). I can't wait to see them taken with the NEF setting.

Esoterra
01-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Yes Nikon Capture is worth $100. I have used RSE (RAW Shooter Essentials), the photoshop plug-in, and UFRAW (used with GIMP) and Nikon Capture gives the most consistant results. In addition it has several features D-Lighting, Vignette Control, and Fisheye Lens, that are somewhat unique and all work very well. Batch processing is pretty quick, and you can save the copies in whatever format you like. For Nikon users NC4 is the way to go.

George- I have messed around with the Fish Eye in NC4 and I cant seem to get it to work. Is it necessary to use a fish eye lens for this feature to be enabled?

Thanks,

jcon
01-26-2006, 12:29 AM
I just installed a program called ACDSEE Pro 8.0 I had been using an older version and thought I would upgrade to the newer version. It allows you to edit NEF files. Its very effective and I am very pleased with the results. It has a "Lens Correction" tool that allows you to correct barrel distortion. I believe its $150 or around there, you can try it for free, however. I also have Nikon Capture and Photoshop CS2. If I had to choose, id put Nikon Capture 1st , ACDSEE 2nd and CS2 in 3rd. Just thought I would share my opinions and throw out there a not so popular(yet) photo viewing and editing program!

K1W1
01-26-2006, 01:57 AM
I refuse to have anything to do wih ACDSEE. Their programs have become consistantly more bloated and with seemingly more bugs with each release. On top of that their only interst appears to be to continue to sell yet more add ons and "compatible" programs to users via a constant stream of emails that is never ending.
I don't care if they develop the best .NEF program in the world they will never get another cent of my money.

jcon
01-26-2006, 01:42 PM
I have had ACDSEE for about a year and a half and had no problem with the software, have not had any bugs at all. I did get ONE email offering me a discount on the newer version of the program. One email in a little over a years time I find to be alot better than most, especially Adobe, it seemed I got one the them every week. If you dont like getting the emails, you can have youre name taken off ther mailing list! I guees opinions and results vary.

Glenn Kennedy
01-28-2006, 08:26 AM
I have just recently switched over to RAW mode with my D70 and got NC4. In my view, it's great. Still learning how to use it properly, though.

Memory permitting, I'm converted to RAW + NC4 now. It's a bit of a pain (and looks a bit sad, too), to cart your laptop on holiday with you - just to download the NEFF files onto.

D70FAN
01-28-2006, 09:37 AM
George- I have messed around with the Fish Eye in NC4 and I cant seem to get it to work. Is it necessary to use a fish eye lens for this feature to be enabled?

Thanks,

Wow. Sorry I missed this.

The truth is I have not tried the fish-eye feature, as I haven't needed it. I have read a couple of posts that say it works well with Nikkors, but have no idea beyond that.

Hopefully someone here has, or you might ask up on the Nikonians site.