PDA

View Full Version : Camera bag recommendations for D50.

Shiloh
01-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I recently purchased a D50. It came with a 28-80mm lens, I bought a 70-300mm lens, and I hopefully will be buying a 50mm lens and a SB600 to go with it soon. I've been looking for a good bag for it all, but haven't had any luck yet. I've looked around online too, but I don't want to get something that isn't going to be big enough to hold everything. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

sherlock
01-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Hey Shiloh,

I use a Lowepro SlingShot 200AW. It's great because you can get the stuff out of the bag without taking it off. It holds my F100 with 24-85mm attatched (quite a bit bigger than your D50 and 28-80) and 70-300mm lens and flash with room for another lens and accessories. I love it. It should hold all of your stuff. Here's (http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Sling_Bags/All_Weather_Cover/SlingShot_200_AW.aspx) the link to it at Lowepro's site. Hope all of this helps.

Andrew

D70FAN
01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
I recently purchased a D50. It came with a 28-80mm lens, I bought a 70-300mm lens, and I hopefully will be buying a 50mm lens and a SB600 to go with it soon. I've been looking for a good bag for it all, but haven't had any luck yet. I've looked around online too, but I don't want to get something that isn't going to be big enough to hold everything. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Take the Nikkor 70-300 G back and get a Sigma 70-300 APO instead (~$210). I made this mistake a couple of years ago, and the Nikkor is now a paperweight/boat anchor.

Camera bag: Go to a large camera store (like a stand-alone Ritz or Wolf) and choose a bag to suit your needs in-person. The cost difference on-line is not that big a deal, and you will know what you are getting.

Commentary: The 28-80 G is really not the right "kit" lens for your D50, and camera stores seem to be switching the normal 18-55 digital kit lens with the 28-80 35mm film dSLR "kit" lens to get rid of them.

Even Norman Camera is basically giving the 28-80 with the D50 body, for the same price as the body alone. If you paid more than $649 for your "kit" (D50+28-80), you might want to argue the point and have them send you the 18-55 instead. Neither lens will win any awards, but the 18-55 is a more useful focal length range for a dSLR and arguably a better lens optically.

Retail the 18-55 is about $180 and the 28-80 is about $150.

If you owned a D70/D70s the SB600 would be a good choice, as the speedlight Commander mode (so that you can use multiple remote flashes) is built-in to the D70(s).

On the D50 this is not the case, so if you want to have speedlight Commander capability in the future, you will need to bite the bullet and get the SU-800 (~$270). If it were me I would opt for the SB800 as the primary flash, to start with (about $132 difference), and have the option of SB600's as remotes.

K1W1
01-03-2006, 11:05 PM
I agree with George that you need to shop for a bag in person preferably with your camera in your hand at the time. You get no real concept of size or shape or fit from a web site.
Having said that if you want something for outdoor type use (hiking, skiing sort of stuff) the Lowepro Toploader 2 is a good size for the camera plus one spare lens and some accessories and can be worn on many different ways. If you are looking for something more urban and less "I'm a camera bag - steal me!" look at the Crumpler range. The Million Dollar Home series is good. The 5 is a nice size for a camera plus spare lens and flash, the 6 will allow you to carry food for a week as well. :-)

VetteD50
01-04-2006, 04:52 AM
If shopping in person may not be possible(I found it hard to find a bag for my gear...which currently is about what you will end up with) the Lowepro Nova 5 will fit the gear mentioned. I have my D50, kit lens, 70-300, 28-80, a 2x teleconverter, and a SB600 all nicely stowed away in my Nova 5. Good luck!

Shiloh
01-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Take the Nikkor 70-300 G back and get a Sigma 70-300 APO instead (~$210). I made this mistake a couple of years ago, and the Nikkor is now a paperweight/boat anchor.

Commentary: The 28-80 G is really not the right "kit" lens for your D50, and camera stores seem to be switching the normal 18-55 digital kit lens with the 28-80 35mm film dSLR "kit" lens to get rid of them.

Even Norman Camera is basically giving the 28-80 with the D50 body, for the same price as the body alone. If you paid more than $649 for your "kit" (D50+28-80), you might want to argue the point and have them send you the 18-55 instead. Neither lens will win any awards, but the 18-55 is a more useful focal length range for a dSLR and arguably a better lens optically.

I bought my D50 from Beachcamera.com, and I was originally just going to buy the body, but since I could get the 28-80mm lens with it for under $600, I went ahead and got it. I was given a gift card to BestBuy, and bought the Nikkor 70-300mm lens with it, since they don't carry Sigma lenses. I'm new to the SLR world, so I figure I can make do with these lenses until I know what I'm doing, and then invest in some nicer lenses. I do appreciate the info, though. :) I've been eyeing the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G and the Nikkor 50mm/f-1.4 for future purchases.

Thanks for the camera bag feedback. I live in a rural area and there's just not much selection so it's hard to shop for a bag in person. I think there's a Ritz Camera store an hour or so away, so I may go there soon to see if they have anything.