PDA

View Full Version : 1 GB SD Card Suggestions

SKOPE
12-30-2005, 09:04 AM
The 32 meg card that came with my Canon PowerShot SD500 Digital Elph (aka Digital IXUS 700) 7.1 megapixel camera doesn't hold enough photos.

I want a 1 gig SD card, but the number of options are overwhelming me. Brands, speeds, and a wide range of prices. It's all so confusing. Help.

I use this camera strictly for still pictures, no video. Keep that in mind when making suggestions.

TampaJim
12-30-2005, 12:07 PM
PNY SD 1GB card for $49.94 at Staples. Pretty good deal. Here's the link.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&noredir=true&siteSection=specials&splCatType=0&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=132361&cmArea=spotlight

Ciao!

SKOPE
12-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks, although price is not my number one concern. (I don't want to pay more than I have to, but if a faster card makes a real difference, I am willing to spend more money.)

Besides, I have a Best Buy gift card.

PMR
01-01-2006, 04:37 PM
I would suggest just a regular SanDisk 1 GB SD card. I use one with my SD400 and it works fine even with high-quality video. I'm pretty sure it will work the same with the SD500. My only complaint is that when you upload the pictures to your computer, it takes a quite a while. It wasn't a deciding factor for me, but if you need the extra speed then you might want to invest a Ultra II card.

If you find it worth the money, you could get a card with built in usb.

Thai
01-04-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm using this for my Rebel Xt:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10068683&catid=

Very fast card.

David Metsky
01-04-2006, 10:55 AM
The faster card will only make a difference when uploading the images to your computer. If that is important to you then get a faster card. Otherwise, save your money.

-dave-

Thai
01-04-2006, 11:03 AM
The faster card will only make a difference when uploading the images to your computer. If that is important to you then get a faster card. Otherwise, save your money.

-dave-
For a 7 megapixel camera, you want a faster card, in the 50X-80X range minimum... You don't want to get a card that is slower than your camera can write to it. Faster is better than standard.

Good link:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6451_7-6296352-1.html

Jason25
01-04-2006, 12:08 PM
I use a Sandisk 1GB Ultra II in my D50, fantastic card that can keep up with the camera very well :)

umbalito99
01-05-2006, 11:21 AM

-dave-

Hello,

Doesn't a faster card take more advantage of things like bracketing? or continous shooting? :confused: I thought I read something about that.

Or does it depend on the camera?

I have a canon s2 and I was thinking of getting a sandisk ultra II for it, but if the only difference is going to be in download speeds, then I wont bother spending extra $$$

thanks.

David Metsky
01-05-2006, 01:22 PM
With this camera, according to everyone who's used it, there are no benefits to a faster card. It still maxes out in burst mode and all video modes. The camera's ability to write out the data is the limiting factor, not the card in this case.

Certainly dSLRs can take advantage of the faster cards, and there may be several smaller cameras as well, but so far everything I've read here says that the SD500 isn't one of them. I've got the SD300 and it works fine with a regular speed card. I thought that the greater image size with the SD500 might require a faster card to operate at full speed in burst mode, but apparently that isn't the case.

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but I haven't seen any evidence yet.

-dave-

E-X-E
01-08-2006, 05:06 PM
please delet this post, already have it answerd