PDA

View Full Version : out of box quality for D50

rocdoc
12-28-2005, 10:06 PM
I recently (today!) purchased a Nikon D50 camera, with a Nikon 28-105 3.5-4.5 D lens. Feels great and I am looking forward to starting using it. There is one thing that keeps me from fully enjoying the experience though. When I took the camera out of the box, it looked like a re-packaged unit, and for some reason that makes me uncomfortable. I told the sales guy at the store that I would much prefer to get a brand new one (just a quirk of mine), but I think he may have made a point of giving me a re-packaged/returned one (strange, I know, but I had a distinctive feeling he didn't like me - and no, I am not paranoid delusional, I don't believe the KGB is after me). It also brings up the point of possible QA at the Thailand Nikon plant where the camera seems to come form. Did anyone else get the camera with a couple of cables loose in the box, with none of those film things that usually cover the LCD's, with the manuals tucked odly to the side of the box? I'm trying to find out if this is just sloppines on the Nikon side, or it is indeed likely to be a returned item. Not that it matters all that much, but I just think I should pay extra attention to possible defects or issues while the camera is still within the return period, if indeed someone else had it and returned. How did you receive your camera? Anyone with a similar experience? Please comment.
Sorry to make my debut on the Nikon forum with this. Your help in clarifying this and in getting me back to enjoying photography is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

K1W1
12-28-2005, 10:59 PM
All D50's come from Thailand and they are all packaged immaculately when they leave the factory.
Your camera has been out of the box and repackaged there is absolutely no question about that.
If you want to add weight to your argument for a return shoot a picture then look at the EXIF data using Opanda's EXIF reader. It will tell you what the total number of shutter releases is. If your camera is new and has just been on display in the shop then it should be zero plus however many images you have taken. If it's been used and returned it will be ???

rocdoc
12-29-2005, 07:34 AM
Thank you so much K1W1! It's a horrible feeling to do lots of research, gear up to the moment, and then feel that the whole experience fell flat. Well, I used the Opanda, and guess what, the number matches exactly what I have shot. I guess that means it hasn't actually been used. They either took it out of the box and put it back in for whatever reason, or I just got one that was less than superbly packaged. It doesn't look like it's been dragged behind the plane from Thailand over here, nothing like that, but I just found it odd that none of the LCD's had a film cover over them, and one of the cables was not in a bag. But now that it looks like it hasn't actually been used, I'm not sure I want to return it anymore. Still confused about the whole thing tho. If anyone else has comments, please chime in.
Thanks again

coldrain
12-29-2005, 07:50 AM
It probably was opened to show a customer, who then decided against buying it. If the camera looks pristine and everything is there (cables, manual, cd roms etc.) I would not worry about it and just enjoy playing with your nice new toy.

D70FAN
12-29-2005, 09:56 AM
I agree with coldrain on this one. If the camera looks fine and has no image quality issues then just have fun with it.

Esoterra
12-29-2005, 03:05 PM
hey rocdoc congratulations on your new D50- it should be fine, but remember that you are the customer and you have the buying power. If you don't like the sales guy or the way things went down, take it back and take your buisness else where if possible. I say this with future tense in mind as you might end up going back for more camera gear. Be firm and unwavering... let them know that your not gonna take any *(&^#@*$ from them lol! Maybe you might be able to command a discount next time your there! heh

rocdoc
01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I've been using the camera and having great fun with it, thanks guys.
I was looking over this forum and something popped into my mind: The number of shutter releases in Opanda seems like a great tool, especially when one is buying a used camera. Does anyone know if that can be easily reset though? For example,would doing a hard reset on the camera (the reset button on the bottom of D50) bring the count back to 0?
Thanks