PDA

View Full Version : Weight shift in lenses

Colin24
12-27-2005, 06:33 PM
I have recently had the use of two lenses: a ‘Nikkor AF 80-200 f2.8 D 2 ring’ and a ‘Nikkor AF-S 28-70 f2.8 D’ both ED.
They both seem to function perfectly and I’m very pleased with the results.

The thing is, both lenses seem to have something loose inside.
They don’t rattle or anything like that, but if you slowly turn them over (end over end) in your hands you can feel a definite shift of weight inside.
Is this normal or is it cause for concern.
I’m asking because I’m thinking of making an offer for the lenses.

Best regards

Colin

RONiN of Hillbillies
12-30-2005, 12:15 PM
maybe there is an orientation mechanism inside the camera lens that you hear?

coldrain
12-30-2005, 01:04 PM
I do not think a lens cares what way it is facing, so it is not that (cameras look if they are in portrait or landscape "orientation", lenses don't).I just now tried the same with my Canon EF 70-200 f4, and do not really notice anthing like that, maybe you just feel the zoom ring to have a bit of play?

If they function well they function well... I do not know what it can be that you are feeling.

D70FAN
12-30-2005, 02:30 PM
I have recently had the use of two lenses: a ‘Nikkor AF 80-200 f2.8 D 2 ring’ and a ‘Nikkor AF-S 28-70 f2.8 D’ both ED.
They both seem to function perfectly and I’m very pleased with the results.

The thing is, both lenses seem to have something loose inside.
They don’t rattle or anything like that, but if you slowly turn them over (end over end) in your hands you can feel a definite shift of weight inside.
Is this normal or is it cause for concern.
I’m asking because I’m thinking of making an offer for the lenses.

Best regards

Colin

It could be a little play in the zoom ring. I rent both of these lenses from time to time and both rentals have had some mechanical play. The play does not affect the focus speed or accuracy, and they take super pictures.

If you decide to pass on these, and the asking price is reasonable, please let me know, as these lenses are the best of the best.:D