PDA

View Full Version : No name memory Cards

ShowMeTheMoney
12-24-2005, 10:51 PM
I don't know which forum I should ask this, so I'll just ask away right here.

Would it be better to pay more for a name-brand card than an "unknow" (at least to me, but then again I am new to all these) brand card?

I just saw a few 1Gb SD cards, PNY and GXT brand, that are on-sale for half-their regular price and a lot less than comparable Sandisk, Kingston etc.. SD cards.

Do you usually get what you pay for with memory cards?

Thanks in advance.

Happy Holidays!

cdifoto
12-24-2005, 10:59 PM
PNY is a known computer memory maker that has moved over into flash memory as well. I would feel safe going with them. I've never heard of GXT but if they offer a good warranty then it wouldn't hurt if the price is right.

The main concern is speed if you have a dSLR, since the slower cards oftentimes can't keep up with the performance of the camera. If you have a point & shoot it's usually a non-issue.

ShowMeTheMoney
12-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the info.

Nope, I don't have DSLR, I actually don't have a digicam yet. Hopefully I'll get one before the end of the week. It's either the DSC H1, S2 IS, or the FZ20.

At what speed would a card be considered "high speed"?

Since a high speed card is pretty much needed for continous shooting and movie recording, what would be the minimum speed I would look at?

TampaJim
12-26-2005, 06:54 AM
High speed would be in the 60-66 speed range - 9-10MB/sec. The Sandisk Ultra II (60X-66X) or Lexar Professional (60X-66X) SD cards would work in the Canon and Panasonic. With the Sony it would be either the Sandisk Ultra II (60X-66X) Memory Stick or the Lexar Platinum (40X) or Professional (80X) Memory Stick.

P.S. I really LOVE my S2 and I don't think you would be disappointed with that selection. The Panasonic was my second choice, so obviously it has a lot to offer. The Panasonic is "on sale" right now for $389 including a FREE 512MB SD card and it has a proprietary (included) battery - no shipping and no tax. The Canon is more, it is smoking hot right now and you would have to buy a memory card and batteries/charger. Overall, you would save over $100 on the FZ-20 versus the S2. I thought the S2 was worth the difference, but you may not so I thought to pass along the financial disparity to you.

Severin
12-26-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't concern myself with the brand of memory card as much as I do the speed, and this is mostly because I want to shoot movies as well as stills with my camera and I bought an S2 in part because of its easy access movie feature, however the down side of the movie thing is that you need a fast memory card to keep up.

Sing Lin
01-02-2006, 09:04 AM
On Amazon website, 2 users provided comments indicating that their PNY SD 1 GB memory cards failed in 3 to 6 months.

Sing Lin