PDA

View Full Version : Lenses for theatre?

alubkin
12-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi all! I'm a newbie to the forums and to dSLRs... I just picked up a Nikon D50, with the kit 18-55 lens. I'm looking for lens and accessory recommendations.I'm a set designer, and I do some interior design, so my needs are a little complicated. I'm planning on using the stock lens for my interior design pictures, because of the nice wide angle, but i'd like a zoom (55-200 or 70-300 ish range) that has decent low-light performance for taking shots of my sets under stage lighting. I don't have much to spend... really not over $200, and the less the better, but i'd like something that doesn't entirely suck for when I can't steal my sister's lenses. :)

Also, so far as accessories, obviously memory and a bag (i'm looking at the nova 3, microtrekker 100, and velocity 7... any opinions?) and all that, but what about filters, etc.?

Danke!

coldrain
12-24-2005, 12:30 PM
The 55-200 from Nikon sucks badly at 200mm, and that is putting it mildly. You will not find around 200$ zooms that perform well in low light of course.
For the 70-300 lenses the Sigma 70-300 APO DG version is the one you should go for, better than Nikon's (and Tamron's) offerings.

A more lightsensitive alternative might be the Nikon Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF, but it costs more (around 350$ or so?) and you need your legs to do the zooming for you. It is a very sharp lens.

D70FAN
12-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi all! I'm a newbie to the forums and to dSLRs... I just picked up a Nikon D50, with the kit 18-55 lens. I'm looking for lens and accessory recommendations.I'm a set designer, and I do some interior design, so my needs are a little complicated. I'm planning on using the stock lens for my interior design pictures, because of the nice wide angle, but i'd like a zoom (55-200 or 70-300 ish range) that has decent low-light performance for taking shots of my sets under stage lighting. I don't have much to spend... really not over $200, and the less the better, but i'd like something that doesn't entirely suck for when I can't steal my sister's lenses. :)

Also, so far as accessories, obviously memory and a bag (i'm looking at the nova 3, microtrekker 100, and velocity 7... any opinions?) and all that, but what about filters, etc.?

Danke!

Unfortunately there are no decent fast zoom lenses in the $200 range. You might want to give the 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2 (used) a try for low light shooting. The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 are the next step, but well out of your cost range.

alubkin
12-24-2005, 08:57 PM
what's the difference between this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=396830&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
and this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=163660&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

?

also, any more recommendations?