PDA

View Full Version : New Battery Charger

JTF
12-24-2005, 11:19 AM
I just purchased a Sony BCG-34HLD charger for my new Fuji S5200 digicam. It states in the instructions " The batteries should be full discharge before they are recharged". Is this a must, or can they just be almost out of juice. If they have to be fully drained do users just leave the camera on and let the batteries die before recharging again.

ktixx
12-24-2005, 02:27 PM
From what I have read, if the batteries are NiCa then they should not be "FULLY" discharged, as anything below 1v will cause the "memory" effect. Your camera will tell you when they are discharged - ie: it won't work anymore. This is the optimum time to recharge. In addition, the batteries should be stored fully charged as again - when the batteries get below 1v they will start to loose their ability to charge. As a final thought, when you are re-charging the batteries, make sure you follow the recomended charging times, as overcharging them will cause memory problems as well.
Good Luck, and I hope this helps
Ken

Kenyada
12-27-2005, 03:31 AM
I just purchased a Sony BCG-34HLD charger for my new Fuji S5200 digicam. It states in the instructions " The batteries should be full discharge before they are recharged". Is this a must, or can they just be almost out of juice. If they have to be fully drained do users just leave the camera on and let the batteries die before recharging again.

I suspect that you have NiMH batteries, in which case the instructions are correct for best results. This processes helps to eliminate "memory effect" which is what causes a battery to work less efficiently. That's why the best battery chargers will do all the work for you - fully discharge the batteries before they fully charge them. One example of such a battery charger is the LaCrosse:

http://thomasdistributing.com/la_crosse_bc-900_battery_charger.php

I'm not sure if the Sony will fully discharge your batteries, but anyone wanting the longest life from their NiMH batteries should definitely pay attention to the capability of their charger.

JTF
12-27-2005, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the info, I found a setting on my camera that will discharge the batteries for me.