PDA

View Full Version : Viewing raw NEF files?

VetteD50
12-22-2005, 05:44 AM
I have been shooting in jpeg. Today, I switched to RAW for any photos I may take, so I can look for quality differences.

I have not loaded any software, I just slide my SD card into my laptop and view with windows viewer and edit with PS. I read that I cannot view a RAW file this way? I need the software to view it?

Can I just add a new file type to my file type list and set it to open with windows viewer?

Thanks...sorry if this has been beaten to death already.

coldrain
12-22-2005, 08:03 AM
No, you need software that can decipher and display RAW NEF. There is Nikon's own software that costs abput 100$ from Nikon, then there is Adobe's RAW plugin for photoshop and (I think) PS Elements, which does a good job except that the whitebalance can not be accurately read because Nikon made that encrypted (no one is totally sure why, besides promoting their own software).

There are many RAW convertors to be found, some free, which can process Nikon RAW files more or less accurately, but I do not know which, just try to find them via Google or something.

VetteD50
12-22-2005, 08:28 AM
No, you need software that can decipher and display RAW NEF. There is Nikon's own software that costs abput 100$ from Nikon, then there is Adobe's RAW plugin for photoshop and (I think) PS Elements, which does a good job except that the whitebalance can not be accurately read because Nikon made that encrypted (no one is totally sure why, besides promoting their own software).

There are many RAW convertors to be found, some free, which can process Nikon RAW files more or less accurately, but I do not know which, just try to find them via Google or something.

thank you!

erichlund
12-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Picture Project and Nikon View can also open NEF files, but they have much more limited editing capability. Capture is great, and once you get used to handling RAW files, you won't want to go back, but it does cost extra, as said. That said, the D50 does pretty well in jpg, so you may not find a great deal of advantage there.

Esoterra
12-22-2005, 10:38 AM
RawShooter Premium 2006 is the best program that I have used for RAW. In my opinion, it simplifies your work flow most effeciently, is really easy to learn, and you notice a huge difference with RAW vs. JPEG. The color vibrance setting is very nice as well. you can download a trial version here (http://pixmantec.sjc.cachefly.net/RawShooterPremium.exe)

The only drawback to RSP2006 is that it doesnt give you as much control and versitility as CS2. That being said, it just depends on what you want. A steep learning curve and incredible control, or something that just simplifies your RAW conversion process. As for me, I use both.

Hope that helps you.

D70FAN
12-22-2005, 10:47 AM
RawShooter Premium 2006 is the best program that I have used for RAW. In my opinion, it simplifies your work flow most effeciently, is really easy to learn, and you notice a huge difference with RAW vs. JPEG. The color vibrance setting is very nice as well. you can download a trial version here (http://pixmantec.sjc.cachefly.net/RawShooterPremium.exe)

The only drawback to RSP2006 is that it doesnt give you as much control and versitility as CS2. That being said, it just depends on what you want. A steep learning curve and incredible control, or something that just simplifies your RAW conversion process. As for me, I use both.

Hope that helps you.

If you haven't used the latest version of Nikon Capture, you are missing out on several unique features and in-house knowlege, as well as much faster and nicer batch processing. NC4 also allows some interesting manipulation of JPEG as well. I find that most of the time I don't even need to fire-up Photoshop.;)

Esoterra
12-29-2005, 03:20 PM
I just downloaded the latest NC4 update and I will confess, that I havent spent near as much time with NC as RSP2006. I'll check it out.