PDA

View Full Version : Pictures to the SD card from PC,viewing problem

jimmiey
12-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Hello all
I have a Panasonic DMC_FZ5 camera with 1 gig SD card. I removed pictures from the card when I was transferring images to my PC ( Windows XP) I can reload them to the SD Card but they get reformatted and the camera can not view them. I want the pictures back on my camera to have a portable Slide show.The files are jpeg and the file size doesn't change for similiar pictures. I can open any file , just photographed or reloaded pictures on The SD card to the PC for viewing,etc.Does anyone know if there is a "post processor" to correctly format the PC pictures back to the camera's SD card. Thanks in advance for you answer.

emalvick
12-21-2005, 01:51 PM
I believe that the only way this will work, although I haven't really tried it, is to put the photos back in the original folders they came from on the camera with the original file name.

I'm not positive that will work, but the camera only knows its own file and folder structure.

I have an FZ15, and I believe that is what worked for me the only time I tried to do that. You may be able to experiment within those folders to see if you can artificially name and number the files (so a slideshow is as you want) and even recreate an older folder for slide shows.

Your best bet though is to ask your question in the Panasonic forum. There is some great help there, and a few "experts" who have tried everything with most every FZ camera (and most FZ cameras behave similarly).

Good luck,

Erik

David Metsky
12-21-2005, 01:53 PM
It's probably not the files that have been formatted, but the file naming conventions that are confusing your camera. They need to be put back where the camera originally put them, or in a similarly named directory.

-dave-

jimmiey
12-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have tried to refile the pictures from the PC into a couple differant folders. The first is the G:\ "removable memory" ,which I guess is the computer name for the SD Card. One folder down there is the "Misc"and "DCIM"( don't recall exactly the correct letters) When the "DCIM" is opened there is the "100 PANA" folder,guessing again I imagine that is the folder the Panansonic is writting to, I will sit down and try to write to all of these in some orderly tests and hope for the best. Haven't given up yet:)

emalvick
12-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Yes, the "100 Pana" folder is a folder where the pics will be stored by the camera, and that is where it looks to find the pictures.

Now when you take a photo with the Panasonic, it writes a 7 digit number to the file name... e.g. P1040578 (my current number). The first three numbers, the 104, will match the number in the folder number.

So, as you take photos with your camera, the folder number will change.

Your experiments will tell you more, but those numbers may have to match their folder to work. You also may be able to recreate the structure later on by renaming the files to match the folder/file naming scheme.

Since my camera is now on Folder 104, it is likely it'll never use 100 again, so I might create a 100 Pana folder and name the files as if they were originally in that folder to create a "slide show".

You'll have to see if that works. It may not, but that is how I would go about it if I was going to try.

Erik