View Full Version : D70s moire questions

12-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi all,

I just bought my D70s! This is the good news.

The bad news is, since work has been so busy I've only gotten to really "play" with it starting today.

I took a bunch of pictures today in honor of NY's big transit strike. Coming home I see that my "moire torture test" is a mixed bag of results.

Does anyone notice moire in small images (ie., reduced on screen, rather than full sized)? I'm going blind looking at images that look HORRIBLY moire'd when I look at their thumbnails in my image viewer (Nikon's, and Picasa 2) but then seem to subside considerably upon magnification.

I'm confused. Any ideas here? Am I going blind, or what?

Other than that, the camera handles like a dream. It's a teensy bit large for my small hands, but feels great over all.

12-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Thumbnails of *any* image can show moire, depending on the downsampling applied - the cheapest, fastest way of doing it is just picking nearest points, which leads to really bad artifacting because the high frequency information present in the full-sized original can't be represented in the small image - you basically need to blur the image before shrinking to avoid that problem. As long as the full size image doesn't have any, everything's fine.