PDA

View Full Version : D50 + Sigma 18-200mm

amdhappy
12-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Has anyone used a D50 with Sigma 18-200mm lens?

I am planning to buy them in the new year and I am just after some comments. If not, can I has your thoughts on the combination?

Thank you

W.

ktixx
12-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Great combo for walk around, however just be aware that you will sacrifice image quality for the flexibility of a zoom like that. It is difficult for manufactuers to produce a high quality zoom with that much range. All in all - the 18-200 (which I have no experience with) seems like a great lense for the average user.
Ken

timmciglobal
12-20-2005, 01:13 PM
You may look into spending the extra 300$ and getting the nikon 18-200 which will have much faster and quieter focusing plus vibration reduction which is a priceless feature on any zoom.

Tim

amdhappy
12-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Great combo for walk around, however just be aware that you will sacrifice image quality for the flexibility of a zoom like that. It is difficult for manufactuers to produce a high quality zoom with that much range. All in all - the 18-200 (which I have no experience with) seems like a great lense for the average user.
Ken

Thanks for your comments. Do you think the 18-125mm Sigma will sacrifice image quality as well?

Or should I go for the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 (http://tinyurl.com/d33bq)?

What other lens could you recommend?

Regards,

w.

caveman017
12-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Thanks for your comments. Do you think the 18-125mm Sigma will sacrifice image quality as well?

Or should I go for the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 (http://tinyurl.com/d33bq)?

Regards,

w.
thats an amazing lens

Quorthon
12-22-2005, 12:53 PM
First of all, as a very satisfied owner of the D50 + Sigma 18-200 I can wholeheartedly recommend it as a very good walkaround lens. You can search for some posts of mine since I also considered the 18-125 at the time. From the replies I got, I figured there is no compromise going from 18-125 to 18-200, so I did. Add the famed Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (very low price) and you're set for many lighting situations. For pics taken outside with decent lighting I use the 18-200 and for pics of my little kid indoors I mostly use the 50mm. Very happy by now.

The 18-70 is said to be a great lens, but I thought the 70mm on the tele-end would demand another longer lens (~70-200) and switching between them too often. I didn't want to do that.

Regarding focus speed and sound I find no problem with the Sigma 18-200, focus is fast enough and the sound really doesn't bother me. Actually, I kinda like it... it's not too loud, just noticeable, so dont worry about it.

The Nikon 18-200 main advantage would be the VR feature. On the other hand, this lens is not much faster than the Sigma (f/3.5-5.6 vs f/3.5-6.3), a bit heavier (560 g. vs 400 g. for the Sigma). I would not be surprised if the Nikon's image quality will be better than the Sigma, the question is - how noticeable it would be in everyday-use. Nikon is also more expensive. If I was offered one to choose one of them for free - sure, I would probably take the Nikon, but that's not really the case...

All in all I'm satisfied with this setup - attached is a pic taken with the D50 + Sigma 18-200.

Hope this helps,
Or

D70FAN
12-22-2005, 06:10 PM

Regards,

w.

In the year+ that I have been shooting the Sigma 18-125 it has been a workhorse with very consistant results and great image quality. I have not found a lens even close to this price class that is as good. The only negative is slight vignetting at the extremes.

It does appear that I will be changing to the new Nikkor 18-200 DX VR, but I don't have that lens yet, so it remains to be seen.

For many examples of the 18-125:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

P.S. Nice picture Quorthon

jcon
12-22-2005, 06:24 PM
George, thanks for sharing the pictures, isnt Sedona beautiful?!?! I cant wait to get back there. My brother lives in Mesa, and love to go visit him! I was on the fence about the 18-125 and you have helped me make my decision :D If you have anymore Sedona pics I would love to see them.....

tigerli
12-22-2005, 08:41 PM
For many examples of the 18-125:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

P.S. Nice picture Quorthon

George, how do you like your Smugmug.com pro account? Have you sold enough prints to cover the $99 fee for the pro account? Is it an effective way to sell your photos?

D70FAN
12-23-2005, 09:41 AM
George, thanks for sharing the pictures, isnt Sedona beautiful?!?! I cant wait to get back there. My brother lives in Mesa, and love to go visit him! I was on the fence about the 18-125 and you have helped me make my decision :D If you have anymore Sedona pics I would love to see them.....

I like Sedona as well, but for some reason I seem to dwell more on my shots of GC, Superstition Mountain, and Falgstaff. Maybe over Christmas I will put some time into my Sedona shots, including Oak Creek Canyon. So look again after next Tuesday and I will try to get some additional shots of Gibralter, Bell, and other Sedona sights.;)

D70FAN
12-23-2005, 10:44 AM
George, how do you like your Smugmug.com pro account? Have you sold enough prints to cover the $99 fee for the pro account? Is it an effective way to sell your photos?

My account is a "standard" account, so it runs about $30 per year. One of these days I will actually use it as a gallery instead of an eclectic gathering place for images. I think I make enough on prints to cover a pro account, but haven't needed that yet.

One of my planned holiday projects is to clean things up a little and actually use the gallery to generate more sales. But that means sorting through about 6000 as yet unedited photos.

Incidentely, if you are considering being a smugmug subscriber:

You can save $5 on a smugmug subscription and earn $10 credit for me. If you will enter my email address (griehm@pacbell.net) or my personal coupon (BlJwNQf1EMF8c) in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form (Important: You can't enter any other information, such as my name. Just my email address or coupon). Thanks.

erichlund
01-04-2006, 11:07 PM
George, I signed up for a smugmug account using your email address, so you should be seeing a discount.

Cheers,
Eric

nwpoland
01-04-2006, 11:39 PM
greetings,
i've also got the d50+sigma 18-200. here's some samples of what i've been able to do (i'm not a pro...but this setup does a great job)
http://nwpoland.phanfare.com/

the pics in the "berlin" and "poznan" albums have some especially good shots. all except for the very top album are solely with the sigma 18-200. on the most recent album i was using a combo with 2 new lenses i got for christmas (nikon 50mm 1.4 and sigma 15-30mm).

what has been said already about sacrificing quality might be true if you're comparing higher end lenses or if you're talking about the extremes of the lens (as george said). but otherwise i think it's a great buy. the price is good...the focal length is extremely flexible...and it imho leads to some great shots.

the only time i've had any issues with it is in darker situations. obviously it's not a blazing fast lens...but that's why i have a flash and now, the 50mm 1.4. so, that's not a problem...just reality i guess.

coldrain
01-05-2006, 03:58 AM
Whatever lens you decide on, do not choose the 18-55 kit +55-200. The 55-200mm is not exactly a nice lens, at its longer end it loses a lot of sharpness, contrast, it just is quite a crappy lens.

One other combination you could consider, besides the two sigma's:
The 18-70 D70s Kitlens you list + Sigma 70-300 APO DG. This will give you even bigger tele range, and a 1:2 macro option as well.

D70FAN
01-05-2006, 06:05 AM
George, I signed up for a smugmug account using your email address, so you should be seeing a discount.

Cheers,
Eric

Many (many) thanks Eric. I guess it pays to advertise.:D

Payne
01-05-2006, 08:18 AM
One other combination you could consider, besides the two sigma's:
The 18-70 D70s Kitlens you list + Sigma 70-300 APO DG. This will give you even bigger tele range, and a 1:2 macro option as well.

have you ever tried the Sigma 70-300APO? - I tried this lens during a whole day and frankly I wouldnt advice this lens if what you wanna do is to use the lens at the long end. this lens is softer than the Nikkor 28-200G even at 200mm - so, I'd choose the 28-200G + the Kit lens (which is quite sharp at the center but soft on corners) but from to 18 to 28 the quality is enough.

coldrain
01-05-2006, 08:58 AM
have you ever tried the Sigma 70-300APO? - I tried this lens during a whole day and frankly I wouldnt advice this lens if what you wanna do is to use the lens at the long end. this lens is softer than the Nikkor 28-200G even at 200mm - so, I'd choose the 28-200G + the Kit lens (which is quite sharp at the center but soft on corners) but from to 18 to 28 the quality is enough.
Most people like thsi lens (for the money) and George is happy with his 70-300. Of course more expensive lenses will outperform it, but for a 300mm reach on a budget it is the best out there. The APO DG version is not at all very soft at the long end. My old Sigma 70-300 DL is though.

amdhappy
01-06-2006, 04:52 AM
Thank you for all your comments, I have decided to buy the Sigma 18-200mm lens. It is in the post and should have it in a few days! :)

w.

D70FAN
01-06-2006, 06:48 AM
While I still like my Sigma 18-125 and the 70-300 APO, I no longer have the 70-300 APO, as I rarely shoot at 300mm, and I am leaning toward professionl grade lenses as income allows (meaning very slowly). All future lenses (including 3rd party) will be f/2.8 probably starting with the Nikkor 17-35, and the 70-200 VR. Luckily, for now, I can rent these lenses.;)