PDA

View Full Version : High speed memory card?

Jon12345
12-20-2005, 03:07 AM
I know very little about this topic but I need a 1 gig card. The phone I am getting is a Casio EX-S500.

Do I need a high speed memory card for this or will any memory card do? What is the benefits of a high speed card? Is it just for transferring data to the PC?

Thanks,

Jon

Rhys
12-20-2005, 06:57 AM
I know very little about this topic but I need a 1 gig card. The phone I am getting is a Casio EX-S500.

Do I need a high speed memory card for this or will any memory card do? What is the benefits of a high speed card? Is it just for transferring data to the PC?

Thanks,

Jon

A high-speed card benefits only the retailer and the manufacturer as they can charge more for them. The reality is that I have a slow 1GB card. Sure - it takes a few minutes to transfer all the photos to the computer but there's no appreciable slowness in camera operation. I made a few minutes of video clips of my stepson's xmas play, a few days ago, using my gb card.

The only benefit of a fast card is for sport photography using a dSLR. Even then, it's debatable. Speed of transfer to the PC is ruled by the USB1.1 and USB 2.0 standards so unless you're using firewire and a firewire reader you won't get the benefit of faster transfers.

Jon12345
12-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Really? I read a review and it said for that camera that Casio recommend getting a high speed card. So you are saying it is pointless?

Rhys
12-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Really? I read a review and it said for that camera that Casio recommend getting a high speed card. So you are saying it is pointless?

The maximum file size is 3 megabytes.

According to Lexar, their card are:
Sustained write capability (host to flash) 1X=150KB/sec. 4X=600KB/sec. 12X=1.8MB/sec. 16X=2.4MB/sec, 32X=4.8MB/sec, 40X=6.0MB/sec., 80X=12MB/sec.
Data transfer rate to/from host Up to 16.6MB/sec. (burst)
Start-Up Time (sleep to read/write) < 10 m/s

This means that a 3mb picture as produced by your Casio can be stored in one second with a 16x card. Most cards are at least 8x. I don't know how fast your Casio can write a photo or whether it's capable of burst photograhy but what speed takes your fancy? I'd imagine for most people 1 shot a second is good. If you want more then what ar eyou doing with a compact?

ktixx
12-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Rhys is right, it won't make a difference unless your using a high speed DSLR.
Take a look at this :http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/compact_flash_memory_cards.html

Jon12345
12-21-2005, 06:28 AM
I was thinking more from the perspective of using the movie mode. I fear that maybe it will not be able to collect the data fast enough for this mode unless you have a high speed card. What do you think?

Rhys
12-21-2005, 07:52 AM
I was thinking more from the perspective of using the movie mode. I fear that maybe it will not be able to collect the data fast enough for this mode unless you have a high speed card. What do you think?

Ah.. Movie mode. That'll be 30 VGA-sized images per second. 1 minute and 56 seconds of VGA video with audio takes up 213mb from my Canon S1. Let's see what the file rate is... 213mb divided by 116 seconds is 1.83mb/second. I can record a gigabyte of video on my Canon S1, using the frame buffer.

So. We have a speed of 1.83mbps. Thus, a 12x card should allow unlimited video.

Jon12345
12-22-2005, 03:02 AM
I have just checked out their faq section. It states that there is a "high-quality" movie mode and they recommend a high speed card for that. Think I will get one just for "insurance".

Thanks for all the advice.