PDA

View Full Version : D50 - older MF Lenses

KenS
12-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Greetings all,

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I am an old Nikon MF user - my current kit is an F3, 28/2.8, 50/1.8, 105/2.5 (my favorite), 200/4.0, and a late 43-86. All lenses are either AI or AIS. I just bought a Canon A620 at Best Buy - which is taking great photos, but I am having second thoughts as to whether I should have bought a D-50 instead. Given BB's liberal return policy, I realize I have a window in which to return the Canon.

Partially - at least - my decision hinges on the functionality of the D50 with my current lenses. Are there metering limitations? If I were to buy the D50 body and use my current set, it wouldn't be that much more $$ - ThedD50 even takes the 1 GB SD card I bought. I might also consider the kit - but I've heard the lens is not so great. However, I could be happy with it if it matched the results I'm getting with the A620.

So - what are the pitfalls of using the D50 with AI and AIS glass? I assume the flash would work, btw. Or should I get the kit lens as well?

Thanks
Ken

erichlund
12-15-2005, 04:26 PM
D50 won't use those lenses effectively. You can use them fully manual without metering on the D50, but that is all (or very close to all, I don't remember the exact details). The new D200 will use those lenses with metering. Perhaps a bit more than you planned on spending though.

Cheers,
Eric

tekriter
12-16-2005, 06:16 AM
I am using an old Tokina manual-focus 500mm AI mount mirror with my D50 and it has real limitations. As stated above, there's no metering at all. It has to be used in the full manual mode, and exposure has to be guessed at.

So it's mostly a matter of using the old "sunny 16" rule - daylight exposures are f16 at 1/ISO. With the Tokina being a fixed f8, you double the shutter speed. These are all approximations, of course.

However, with the instant feedback you get on the LCD, exposure adjustments are easy. Too dark? Slow the shutter down a notch or two. In a minute or so, you are getting good exposures. Of course, when the light changes, you start over.

This has made that old 500 much more useable than I thought it would be. But to go through that all the time, at normal focal lengths, would be a real pain.