PDA

View Full Version : D70 or D50 for a relative newbie

joeywrx
12-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Hello all. Let me start by saying this is an awesome forum. Very informative and mature people. It's a pleasure coming here every evening to read up.

Last month I bought a Panasonic Z30. An awesome ultra zoom that was near perfect. The only thing missing was the picture quality. Yes, the most important factor when auditioning a camera- if you ask me. I was not happy at all with the grainy pictures this camera produced. So I returned it to newegg at my expense. I'm actually waiting for them to credit my account, actually.

So after reading some reviews and threads on this forum, I bought the D50. An awesome camera from the pictures I've snapped so far (only one week with it) I bought it with the 18-55mm lens. I didn't purchase it at the cheapest place I found. I actually bought it at Cosco. THis cost me about $50more than the cheaper and reliable places, but there was a reason I bought it at Cosco. They have an incredible return policy. Unlimited return time, so long as you have the box and receipt. This means if the camera ever breaks, I return it and get my money back or exchange it. No need to buy an extended warranty!!! So I think it was worth the extra couple of dollars.

But here is my dilema. I go to Best Buy this evening to do a little Christmas shopping. I go to check out the D SLRs and I see they have the D50 and D70 for the same price (799), but the D70 has a $100 mail in rebate. So the D70 would wind up being $70 cheaper than what I paid for the D50 (770) after rebate! Now I don't know if I want to return the D50 to Cosco, pay $30 more now for the D70, and wait for the $100 rebate check.

Is the D70 worth all of the effort and losing the ability to return it whenever I need to (like I can do with the D50 at Cosco) BTW, the D70 at Best Buy has the 18-70mm lens which I understand is substantially better than the 18-55mm I got with my D50.

Other than the lens, what are the benefits of the D70 over the D50? And I know I'll have to buy a new CF card, but my wife could always use my 1GB SD card in her Panasonic Point & Shoot.

Sorry for the long post, but I know I'll get the right answers from the forum members here.

-Joe

maz
12-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Before anything else: do you mean the D70 (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d70-review/) or the D70s (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d70s-review/)?

Because of the updated D70s version, the older D70 models are discounted. There are some areas where the newer D50 performs better than the D70, but it's true that the D70's kit lens is much better.

Not sure what to tell you. I'm sure more experienced users will have some advice for you. Personally I bought the D50 body (no lens), then got the D70's 18-70mm lens for about $215 on eBay.

In your case it's more of a dilemma (as you point out yourself). Hopefully someone who has had firsthand experience with both models will be willing to chip in.

D70FAN
12-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Hello all. Let me start by saying this is an awesome forum. Very informative and mature people. It's a pleasure coming here every evening to read up.

Last month I bought a Panasonic Z30. An awesome ultra zoom that was near perfect. The only thing missing was the picture quality. Yes, the most important factor when auditioning a camera- if you ask me. I was not happy at all with the grainy pictures this camera produced. So I returned it to newegg at my expense. I'm actually waiting for them to credit my account, actually.

So after reading some reviews and threads on this forum, I bought the D50. An awesome camera from the pictures I've snapped so far (only one week with it) I bought it with the 18-55mm lens. I didn't purchase it at the cheapest place I found. I actually bought it at Cosco. THis cost me about $50more than the cheaper and reliable places, but there was a reason I bought it at Cosco. They have an incredible return policy. Unlimited return time, so long as you have the box and receipt. This means if the camera ever breaks, I return it and get my money back or exchange it. No need to buy an extended warranty!!! So I think it was worth the extra couple of dollars.

But here is my dilema. I go to Best Buy this evening to do a little Christmas shopping. I go to check out the D SLRs and I see they have the D50 and D70 for the same price (799), but the D70 has a $100 mail in rebate. So the D70 would wind up being $70 cheaper than what I paid for the D50 (770) after rebate! Now I don't know if I want to return the D50 to Cosco, pay $30 more now for the D70, and wait for the $100 rebate check.

Is the D70 worth all of the effort and losing the ability to return it whenever I need to (like I can do with the D50 at Cosco) BTW, the D70 at Best Buy has the 18-70mm lens which I understand is substantially better than the 18-55mm I got with my D50.

Other than the lens, what are the benefits of the D70 over the D50? And I know I'll have to buy a new CF card, but my wife could always use my 1GB SD card in her Panasonic Point & Shoot.

Sorry for the long post, but I know I'll get the right answers from the forum members here.

-Joe

For as much as I like my D70, I'm not sure that I could make a good case over the D50. There are several little things that the D70 can do that the D50 can't like Commander mode for remote speedlights, 1/8000sec shutter speed, 1/3 stop increments for ISO, back lite for the info LCD, a little faster continuous shooting mode, and better quick-setting capability (2 control wheels), and finally DOF preview. If these are not important then stay with the D50. Of course having the 18-70 DX, thrown in, is also a big leverage toward the D70 as well.

ribac
12-20-2005, 03:27 PM
I was in same shoes like you.Finally I bought D50 as I'm beginner too.
I love it.I read a lot of reviews and someone told me that between D70 has a couple more features which a lot of people doesn't use and I don't think I will use those more advanced features anytime soon.
You will have a toy with ton of features you can play with for lon,long time.
Before I will know how to use all the features on the D50 they will release a lot better cameras.

Also what I saved on purchase with D50 I will spend on lens.

Jason25
12-20-2005, 04:02 PM
I was in same shoes like you.Finally I bought D50 as I'm beginner too.
I love it.I read a lot of reviews and someone told me that between D70 has a couple more features which a lot of people doesn't use and I don't think I will use those more advanced features anytime soon.
You will have a toy with ton of features you can play with for lon,long time.
Before I will know how to use all the features on the D50 they will release a lot better cameras.

Also what I saved on purchase with D50 I will spend on lens.
Same reasoning here :) With the difference in money, I bought a SB600, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, and 1GB Sandisk Ultra II.