PDA

View Full Version : SD memory cards

winterlw
10-11-2004, 12:50 PM
I am thinking of getting a 256 MB SD card to go with my yet undecided digital cam (pana FZ3 or SD200, zoom vs. size). Being only a 3 MP camera either way do I need to get a high speed card? Also what brand is recommened. I want to get a good card but would be nice not spending too much for it if possible. Thanks for any help.

John_Reed
10-11-2004, 01:59 PM
I am thinking of getting a 256 MB SD card to go with my yet undecided digital cam (pana FZ3 or SD200, zoom vs. size). Being only a 3 MP camera either way do I need to get a high speed card? Also what brand is recommened. I want to get a good card but would be nice not spending too much for it if possible. Thanks for any help.I don't think you'd need a high-speed card for an SD200, but you probably would need one for the FZ3. (Someone may correct me on the SD200) The FZ3 has a high-speed burst mode, continuous shooting mode, and the option of TIFF image storage, all of which demand fast data transfer rates. Not that you couldn't use the FZ3 with a slow card, you'd just be happier with its performance using a faster card, especially in those aforementioned modes.

D70FAN
10-11-2004, 03:57 PM
I don't think you'd need a high-speed card for an SD200, but you probably would need one for the FZ3. (Someone may correct me on the SD200) The FZ3 has a high-speed burst mode, continuous shooting mode, and the option of TIFF image storage, all of which demand fast data transfer rates. Not that you couldn't use the FZ3 with a slow card, you'd just be happier with its performance using a faster card, especially in those aforementioned modes.

While I'm starting to come around on this subject, as all-in-one cameras get faster processors and interfaces, I still don't think there is a whole lot of improvement above about 30X on any of the all-in-ones.

Where 1X = 150KB/Sec. 30X = 4.5MB/Sec. So...

...Most all-in-one digital cameras can transfer data from the buffer memory (in the camera) to the (removable) flash memory card at (far) less than 1.5MB per second. In fact even many pro dSLR's are below 3MB/Sec transfer speed so in theory they can't really use much above 20X.

That said, There are still some minor gains (maybe 20%) between 20X and 80X even for slower cameras.

So the long-winded answer is; that there does seem to be some value to higher speed flash memory cards, up to about 40X, in some all-in-one cameras.

BUT! if you are not going to shoot in continuous mode all the time you probably don't really need more than one, moderately sized, high speed card.

Hey, I can change...

winterlw
10-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys. I really appreciate it. Also do you recommend any certain brand? Which ones are better etc?

John_Reed
10-12-2004, 10:29 PM
While I'm starting to come around on this subject, as all-in-one cameras get faster processors and interfaces, I still don't think there is a whole lot of improvement above about 30X on any of the all-in-ones.

Where 1X = 150KB/Sec. 30X = 4.5MB/Sec. So...

...Most all-in-one digital cameras can transfer data from the buffer memory (in the camera) to the (removable) flash memory card at (far) less than 1.5MB per second. In fact even many pro dSLR's are below 3MB/Sec transfer speed so in theory they can't really use much above 20X.

That said, There are still some minor gains (maybe 20%) between 20X and 80X even for slower cameras.

So the long-winded answer is; that there does seem to be some value to higher speed flash memory cards, up to about 40X, in some all-in-one cameras.

BUT! if you are not going to shoot in continuous mode all the time you probably don't really need more than one, moderately sized, high speed card.

Hey, I can change...You're a good man, George Riehm! :)