PDA

View Full Version : Update on earlier post.

VetteD50
12-08-2005, 02:24 PM
For those who offered assistance in my last post, I thank you.

I was able to take some test pics with a bright spotlight to simulate the sun. As suggested, I changed some settings, to no avail. Looks as though it is a camera issue. It can be controlled slightly with less zoom, but my sunsets are still gelling ruined by some crazy effect.

see the test image here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a384/Wizardvette/?action=view&current=DSC_1959.jpg

Esoterra
12-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Get that camera back to Nikon ASAP buddy. There is something fishy going on here! Hopefully you are still under warranty.

VetteD50
12-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Get that camera back to Nikon ASAP buddy. There is something fishy going on here! Hopefully you are still under warranty.

Update:

Email from Nikon service indicates this is within specs for the D50. They recommended some differents settings...(mine were way off...darn rookies!)...and tests have proven them right! I need to learn my settings much better. Thanks for the replies!

erichlund
12-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Update:

Email from Nikon service indicates this is within specs for the D50. They recommended some differents settings...(mine were way off...darn rookies!)...and tests have proven them right! I need to learn my settings much better. Thanks for the replies!
Well, clearly, we didn't have the answer, so what were the changes that eliminated the problem? Educate us please.

Thanks,
Eric

coldrain
12-11-2005, 02:48 PM
yes, what were the settings that produced that pink? One other user of the D50 saw the same pink around clouds on sunny days...

VetteD50
12-11-2005, 03:38 PM
yes, what were the settings that produced that pink? One other user of the D50 saw the same pink around clouds on sunny days...

It wasn't the standard "pink" that you frequently see around sunsets. It was "blooming". Actual pixels in the final image around the sun contained no information. The information bled into surrounding pixels. I deleted the test shot that was posted here.

I was shooting a sunset in manual with matrix metering and a f-stop of 5 or so.. They recommended aperture priority, spot metering, f-stopping around 11, and stepping the exposure down to -.7/-1.0. They were right on. I'm still learning, and this was a nice lesson.

coldrain
12-11-2005, 03:45 PM
So fully exposed pixels (in jpeg value 255 for R, G and B) give pink? They should give white in all cases, I guess it must have to do with a strange white balance correction...

erichlund
12-11-2005, 10:02 PM
So fully exposed pixels (in jpeg value 255 for R, G and B) give pink? They should give white in all cases, I guess it must have to do with a strange white balance correction...
Or, perhaps the red pixels were mostly the ones that became overcharged on the CCD. The D70 was known to sometimes give oversaturated reds under some circumstances. So perhaps the red pixels are just a bit more sensitive than the green and blue, hence the cast to the bloom effect.