PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY!! The lens I have been looking for!

jcon
12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
After days of searching and asking questions, yes, some very stupid, I have found the lens that I EXACTLY need for my shooting purpose on the Nikon D50.... Drum roll...... The Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO IF HSM is what I will be getting. I found this picture over at Pbase and this is exactly what I will be shooting, wrestling, in particular Wrestlemania, and thats where this guy was for this picture! Thanks to all who gave me suggestions and guidance! Oh yea, heres the picture, remember, its not mine:D its of WWE wrestler Triple H....

jcon
12-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Anyone have any suggestions or ideas where I could look to purchase this lens used? I cant afford it new! Thanks.

Balrog
12-08-2005, 10:24 PM
www.keh.com is listing three of them in excellent or excellent+ condition, for $569 or $599.. there's also one for $465 but its filter ring is cracked. Here's the link. (http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=NA&cid=09&sid=newused&crid=12841657)

GrimJeeper
12-09-2005, 04:51 AM
What is the difference between the lens that is listed as having snapped the picture ($769):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=151555&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

and the new lens from Sigma that seems to have the same specs but costs more ($839)?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=384938&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

And why not go for a true Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 lens which, from what I understand, has a faster autofocus and that, after rebate, is only $779?
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NK80200AFDT

I ask because I will be shooting under similar conditions and had my mind set on the Nikon lens but would like to hear what other opinions are out there. I find it hard to believe that the Sigma lens can be better than the Nikon lens, and the Nikon lens is cheaper.

GrimJeeper
12-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Yep, I just posted this note to raise this thread to the top again because no one responded to my previous post (immediately preceeding). I can't see buying a Sigma lens over a Nikon lens when the Nikon lens is even less expensive; unless, of course, I'm missing something. I've gotten some good feedback on the Nikon lens on this forum and it's gotten positive reviews on retailer sites from customers who purchased it.

coldrain
12-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Yep, I just posted this note to raise this thread to the top again because no one responded to my previous post (immediately preceeding). I can't see buying a Sigma lens over a Nikon lens when the Nikon lens is even less expensive; unless, of course, I'm missing something. I've gotten some good feedback on the Nikon lens on this forum and it's gotten positive reviews on retailer sites from customers who purchased it.
The DG version is new, and has a new coating especially designed with digital in mind (that is what the DG stands for in Sigma terms). The Sigma has a silent fast AF motor (HSM), the Nikon does not (if it does, it is called AF-S).
Both are good lenses so just choose the one that takes your fancy.

D70FAN
12-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Go with the Nikkor. Probably the best long zoom Nikon ever made. Personally, I prefer it to the 70-200 VR.

GrimJeeper
12-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Which lens is better for the intended application? I had assumed the Nikon lens would be better, dated as it is.

GrimJeeper
12-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Good to hear a definitive opinion. I'm ordering it tonight.

Rex914
12-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Go with the Nikkor. Probably the best long zoom Nikon ever made. Personally, I prefer it to the 70-200 VR.

Got any particular reasons for this? I can see you arguing from the standpoint of price/performance, but the 70-200 has VR and AF-S, the latter which should really be on the 80-200 in a future revision.

I'm also more of a fan of Nikon's newer lens designs which admittedly resemble Canon L lenses (black matte paint as opposed to the crinkle finish), but that's really personal preference.