PDA

View Full Version : old batts, new charger...

10-10-2004, 07:15 PM
A few years ago, I bought some 1600(or 1650) mah Rayovac NiMH batteries and today I bought a Maha PowerEx C204W charger which is made only for NiMH batteries(up to now everything goes well)... I also got Powerex batteries with my charger to go with my digital camera...

I was wondering if I could also charge my Rayovac batteries in the C204W(or if I had to switch to my old charger). The reason why I ask is because on the charger it says that it shouldn't charge batteries below 2000 mah.
What would happen if I did charge betteries below 2000 mah( the lowest would be 1600(or 1650) mah, since those are the only other NiMH batteries I have.

10-14-2004, 10:44 PM
Doesn't anyone know the answer ?

Rhys
10-15-2004, 01:24 AM
Doesn't anyone know the answer ?

Try it. If you fry the batteries then no great loss. Batteries of higher capacities are easily available.

Or you could do as I did. I posted all my Nicads to a friend in Holland who had a NiCad charger but no NiCads and very little money. It got them out of my house and did her a bit of good into the bargain.

calpchen
10-15-2004, 07:40 AM
Uhhhh... I don't know if I would try that. Best-case scenario: you can use one charger for all your batteries. Worst-case scenario: the batteries and charger start a fire. :)

Rhys
10-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Uhhhh... I don't know if I would try that. Best-case scenario: you can use one charger for all your batteries. Worst-case scenario: the batteries and charger start a fire. :)

So give all the low-power batteries to somebody who has none and make a new friend.

Puck
10-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Quoted from Imaging Resources review of the 204W:

"While it has very a sophisticated end-of-charge detection system, the high current delivered by the 204W does mean that you shouldn't use its one-hour quick charge mode (with only two batteries in the charger) on lower-capacity cells with less than 2000 mAh capacity. If you need to charge lower-capacity cells, make sure you charge them four at a time in the C-204W."

This indicates that you can charge your 1600 MaH batteries 4 at a time and have no problem.

blazinterry
11-02-2004, 05:32 AM

Hey dude! Don't you think that would be pretty...dangerous!? :( You might wake up one day finding a fire at home! :eek: I suggest another *safer* way...right? ;)

blazinterry
11-02-2004, 05:32 AM

Hey dude...calpchen! Don't you think that would be pretty...dangerous!? :( You might wake up one day finding a fire at home! :eek: I suggest another *safer* way...right? ;)