PDA

View Full Version : popups

Rhys
10-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Jeff, are you using popups? I've had a few popups when visiting this site recently from http://amch.questionmarket.com

Jeff Keller
10-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Jeff, are you using popups? I've had a few popups when visiting this site recently from http://amch.questionmarket.com

There shouldn't be any popups or popunders on this site. Have you checked for spyware? Anyone else seeing these?

judge9847
10-11-2004, 03:53 AM
There shouldn't be any popups or popunders on this site. Have you checked for spyware? Anyone else seeing these?
No.

I have the Google toolbar installed, with its popup blocker enabled but which does indicate to me when a block is made. I've not seen it indicate that this site is using them.

Unlike some of course, I'm not an "expert" but I do what I can to try and make sure my PC is clear of crapware, scumware, adware, spyware or call it what you will.

Rhys
10-11-2004, 06:10 AM

According to Mcafee and adaware, the system's clean.

Interestingly, my GF's PC only gets the problem with Internet Explorer. I'll dig around more thoroughly and see what I can find.

Rhys
10-11-2004, 10:53 AM
According to Mcafee and adaware, the system's clean.

Interestingly, my GF's PC only gets the problem with Internet Explorer. I'll dig around more thoroughly and see what I can find.

Interesting. Even Spybot S&D found nothing. Could it be that the server has been contaminated or that one of your advertisers has?

NeoteriX
10-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Some spysoftware look for certain URLs or keywords like Camera or something and popup, even though they have no connection with the actual site.

I don't have any issues with popups on this site as far as I know.

Rhys
10-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Some spysoftware look for certain URLs or keywords like Camera or something and popup, even though they have no connection with the actual site.

I don't have any issues with popups on this site as far as I know.

It's bizarre. Having said that, 99% of my browsing is done with Firebird rather than Internet Explorer so I tend only to get popups with IE.

judge9847
10-12-2004, 07:03 AM
It's bizarre. Having said that, 99% of my browsing is done with Firebird rather than Internet Explorer so I tend only to get popups with IE.
Just for the sake of clarity for those who might read this thread and want more information, the name "Firebird" was the subject of a legal action at the beginning of 2004 which resulted in the browser having to be renamed "Firefox".

So if anyone was interested in a different browser to IE then look for "Firefox" in Google or simply click here (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

Mind you, Firefox is another product from Mozilla which has been producing different browsers since the mid-90s. You may recognise their previous efforts as Netscape.

D70FAN
10-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Just for the sake of clarity for those who might read this thread and want more information, the name "Firebird" was the subject of a legal action at the beginning of 2004 which resulted in the browser having to be renamed "Firefox".

So if anyone was interested in a different browser to IE then look for "Firefox" in Google or simply click here (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

Mind you, Firefox is another product from Mozilla which has been producing different browsers since the mid-90s. You may recognise their previous efforts as Netscape.

Thanks for clarifying that Bob. I always suspected a connection when I was using Mozilla.

Rhys
10-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Bob. I always suspected a connection when I was using Mozilla.

It's a little confusing having similar-sounding names.

The browser is indeed FireFox wheras my mailing program is ThunderBird.

judge9847
10-15-2004, 05:32 AM
No.
I have the Google toolbar installed, with its popup blocker enabled but which does indicate to me when a block is made. I've not seen it indicate that this site is using them.
Ohhhh dear ... you see, that's what I get for opening my big mouth. The Google number-of-popups-blocked counter has just flashed at me and gone up by one after reading one of the new threads here ... And I've done as much as I can to prevent crapware being installed on my PC and (here goes again :( ) I'm as sure as I can be that I've got none.

Rhys
10-15-2004, 06:31 AM
Ohhhh dear ... you see, that's what I get for opening my big mouth. The Google number-of-popups-blocked counter has just flashed at me and gone up by one after reading one of the new threads here ... And I've done as much as I can to prevent crapware being installed on my PC and (here goes again :( ) I'm as sure as I can be that I've got none.

This is why I suspect that it's allied to some of the adverts on the site. I don't get the problem with Firebird (which is my browser of choice). Internet Explorer has been attacked so thoroughly by hackers who'd be far better writing real software and doing a real job that it's almost unusable.

Rhys
10-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Sony. Twice that annoying popup appeared. Twice it was a Sony advert showing...

Jeff Keller
10-26-2004, 05:07 PM
As it turns out, once of our advertisers is doing a survey about cameras. Without telling me, these ads fire a popup window when you leave the page with the ad on it. I have scolded them and taken down their ads until they straighten things out. Thanks Rhys for bringing this to my attention originally.

Rhys
10-28-2004, 10:23 AM
As it turns out, once of our advertisers is doing a survey about cameras. Without telling me, these ads fire a popup window when you leave the page with the ad on it. I have scolded them and taken down their ads until they straighten things out. Thanks Rhys for bringing this to my attention originally.

As soon as I left the front page (www.dcresource.com) and headed for forums, I had another popup - same people. This time it was a survey about computers.

This was today - 2 minutes ago.

D70FAN
10-28-2004, 10:39 AM
As soon as I left the front page (www.dcresource.com) and headed for forums, I had another popup - same people. This time it was a survey about computers.

This was today - 2 minutes ago.

Yup. I've been seeing that one too, on multiple computers. I thought it was just my systems.

Jeff Keller
10-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Heads are going to roll for this one. How underhanded is it to slip popups into an ad without telling me? :mad:

Jeff Keller
10-28-2004, 06:01 PM
There should be no more popups. If you see any, let me know.

D70FAN
10-29-2004, 11:00 AM

Thanks Jeff. :)

D70FAN
10-29-2004, 11:01 AM

Thanks Jeff. :)