PDA

View Full Version : D50 Battery Grip

GrimJeeper
12-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Has anyone used the Merkury Innovations Pro Batter Grip for the D50? If its build quality is good and the fit and finish looks "factory" and matches the D50, I would like to pick one up since most of my shots are vertical as opposed to horizontal. For $100 I thought it would be worth checking to see if anyone has used it or knows of another. I'm not aware of a Nikon battery grip for the D50, but I could be wrong. Here's the link to Abe's with a pic:

http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=mkbgd50

D70FAN
12-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Has anyone used the Merkury Innovations Pro Batter Grip for the D50? If its build quality is good and the fit and finish looks "factory" and matches the D50, I would like to pick one up since most of my shots are vertical as opposed to horizontal. For $100 I thought it would be worth checking to see if anyone has used it or knows of another. I'm not aware of a Nikon battery grip for the D50, but I could be wrong. Here's the link to Abe's with a pic:

http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=mkbgd50

It's a little weird that the battery holder only shows 4 AA's... since it takes six NiMH AA's to equal the EN-EL3's 7.2V. You might want to ask.

GrimJeeper
12-05-2005, 08:05 PM
You're right. The picture and the description do not synch up. The pic shows 4 AA batteries in the grip while the description reads that it holds 6 AA Nimh batteries. Nice catch. I've seen a couple of other battery grips out there now but none of the ones I've seen have a shutter button on them. Guess that's because Nikon didn't intend to make a battery grip and did not build the function into the battery compartment to handle another shutter button. Too bad.

eduardofrances
12-05-2005, 08:28 PM
A google search and a little link hunting gave me this forum http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID201/6.html#1 you might want to read it as it seems to have plenty of info :D maybe you can find it useful by the way it has no vertical shutter button (but i doubt it would be needed I would gladly accept the fact of a power grip alone) but couldnt find a single review on this gadget... and I would search for one before buying it

well hope this helps!

GrimJeeper
12-06-2005, 04:07 AM
The link you provided gave me the following first hand review:

***I was lied to!!! Not only is it strictly a battery holder, it's made of cheap plastic that could very easily be cracked or broken. The manufacturer is Merkury, and I've demanaded a full refund to include return shipping!***

That was precisely the one I was looking at. Thank you for your research!:)

ZAVP
12-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Was told by the folks at Hoodman that in addition to releasing their flip-up cap for the D50 any day now, they are also releasing a battery grip for the D50. Sorry no pictures, no specs, no link. But you could try looking at their website.

Bob

D50/24-120 VR/SB-600

Digger
12-21-2005, 08:24 PM
I just recived a battery grip made by "OPTEKA" (professional battery grip)
BGD50. There is know shutter release button in the unit. The unit has the same color as the camera (looks like it came with the camera). The unit is made well . It is solid on the camera, and feals good in my hands. the weight is balanced verry good. the weight of the batteries makes the camera feal like the grip belongs. the price of the unit was $69.90 I bought it through "amazon" When i hold the camera in the vertical position my finger rest on the shuter relase, feales very good . For me it was money will spent.

PS: the speck sheet says that I should get 2,000+ pictures w/6-AA ni cd batteries:) :)

Jay 106
12-23-2005, 05:19 AM
Hi has the battery grip got a shutter button.?:)

Digger
01-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Hi has the battery grip got a shutter button.?:)
NO, there is know button.

Bantor
02-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I just recived a battery grip made by "OPTEKA" (professional battery grip)
BGD50. There is know shutter release button in the unit. The unit has the same color as the camera (looks like it came with the camera). The unit is made well . It is solid on the camera, and feals good in my hands. the weight is balanced verry good. the weight of the batteries makes the camera feal like the grip belongs. the price of the unit was $69.90 I bought it through "amazon" When i hold the camera in the vertical position my finger rest on the shuter relase, feales very good . For me it was money will spent.

PS: the speck sheet says that I should get 2,000+ pictures w/6-AA ni cd batteries:) :)

I have searched and I can't seem to find the model "BGD50" I can only find the BP-D50 for the Nikond D50.

eduardofrances
02-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I have searched and I can't seem to find the model "BGD50" I can only find the BP-D50 for the Nikond D50.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQBKEM/ref=sr_11_1/102-5420355-1723364?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Rombo75
09-21-2006, 01:26 AM
I've read allo your posts about it and since it seems to exist this battery grip for Nikon D50, I'm going to buy it

but my great trouble is one...

the Nikon D50 is not suppose to have a battery grip from Nikon so they perhaps did't make it with a removeble battery slot window

so my question is, how do I take the battery slot window off?

sorry for my english...

for battery slot window I mean that cover that close the place where the battery is situated and you opend and close every time you must change/recharge the battery

it doesn't seem to exist something to make this operation easier such in other camera, so every time I must take thousand screws off?

I don't hope so!

thank you very much

JREMKE
09-22-2006, 06:10 AM
I purchased the OPTEKA grip a while back and it works great. Plus I also had the camera slip out of my hands :eek: and did no damage to the grip or camera. To remove the battery cover you will push it back it it will pop off with no damage. There is a compartment in the grip to store the cover.

wh0128
09-23-2006, 12:18 AM
my friend wanted to buy this for going on backpacking trips, and this post really helps out, especially if he can get 2000+ pics on just 1 charge of the battery pack. I dont' think I'll be getting this anytime soon though because i already have two batteries.

K1W1
09-23-2006, 05:09 AM
my friend wanted to buy this for going on backpacking trips, and this post really helps out, especially if he can get 2000+ pics on just 1 charge of the battery pack.

One body and a spare battery takes up less space in a backpack than a body with the extra grip attached and it would weigh marginally less as well. Any gram (oz for you guys) that you can save backpacking means a more enjoyable trip so the last thing I would be buying for backpacking is this device.

wh0128
09-23-2006, 01:31 PM
thanks, yeah it does look a little bit heavy, i would NEVER buy this, thanks for the advice K1W1

Rombo75
09-25-2006, 07:20 AM
Hallo thank yuo very much for your ads

I bought the battery pack from Hahnel HN-D50 For Nikon D50 paied 100 with two battery included

great! it's really worth!

now I have of course more grip, the machine is more equilibrated and much more steady and it looks of course bigger and more "professional"