PDA

View Full Version : D50 + sunset + ruined sun = bad SD card?

VetteD50
12-05-2005, 05:25 AM
Has this ever happened to anyone here?

It was suggested to me that it could be my SD card. I shot this sunset in the same location and with the same settings as I had before successfully. The only difference being this time I was using a 1gb high speed card.

I re-formatted the card last night, and will head back after work today, but I was curious if anyone has experienced this. Click the link to the big pic.

http://members.aol.com/glassracer/sun

K1W1
12-05-2005, 05:31 AM
All I get from the link is what appears to be some Asian (?) lanuage with strikethrough.
Can you be more descriptive about the problem?
How exactly was the image ruined?

VetteD50
12-05-2005, 06:09 AM
All I get from the link is what appears to be some Asian (?) lanuage with strikethrough.

picture in your mind, the rings around Saturn...but perfectly vertical.:confused:

coldrain
12-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Haha, an asian language? My guess is that a jpeg was posted without the .jpg extension, and that the browser then does not show it as jpeg but as text.

coldrain
12-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Vertical strange artifacts can not be caused by your SD card. Whatever strangeness you see has to be done by your camera. SD cards can make files unreadable, or damage the JPEG in a way that it is partly damaged (meaning whole segments of the jpeg are missing).

Can you try to post it with a propper ending? (ie. .jpg) Oh, and scale it down a bit?

VetteD50
12-05-2005, 07:41 AM
new link:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a384/Wizardvette/?action=view&current=sun.jpg

jamison55
12-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Wow - supernova caught on "film"...head for the hills.

Seriously, don't know what to tell you except, you got a little dust on your sensor (top left)...

Have you emailed the shot to Nikon support?

VetteD50
12-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Wow - supernova caught on "film"...head for the hills.

Seriously, don't know what to tell you except, you got a little dust on your sensor (top left)...

Have you emailed the shot to Nikon support?

I took care of the dust issue...

I did not wanna bother Nikon just yet. As I mentioned, I have had successful shots under the same conditions, and settings. I will swap SD cards and try again this evening.

Thanks.

coldrain
12-05-2005, 01:03 PM
This has NOTHING to do with your SD card as I said before.

I remember someone with a D50 having very strange pink halo like things around clouds on here, a month or so ago... this colour pink seems very similar. If memory serves me right he had a Sigma 18-200 though. This has something to do with the electronics of the D50, either sensor or post processing, and I have no idea what it is.

Like jamison55 suggested, contact Nikon about this. I am very positive i saw this weird colour before on this site, and it is your camera doing it.

D70FAN
12-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Has this ever happened to anyone here?

It was suggested to me that it could be my SD card. I shot this sunset in the same location and with the same settings as I had before successfully. The only difference being this time I was using a 1gb high speed card.

I re-formatted the card last night, and will head back after work today, but I was curious if anyone has experienced this. Click the link to the big pic.

http://members.aol.com/glassracer/sun

Wow. That's some blooming you have there. Try shooting at ISO200 and WB set to auto (you had it set to flash). Since you are getting 1/3200sec at f/16 there is no real need to shoot at ISO400.;)

VetteD50
12-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Wow. That's some blooming you have there. Try shooting at ISO200 and WB set to auto (you had it set to flash). Since you are getting 1/3200sec at f/16 there is no real need to shoot at ISO400.;)

it's funny you mention this. I went over my settings today at work, and found this very same thing. Not sure it was the issue, but definately the wrong settings for that situation. I was almost sure my settings hadn't changed from the last time. We have more snow coming here soon, so I have to wait for the sun to try again.

D70FAN
12-05-2005, 03:31 PM
it's funny you mention this. I went over my settings today at work, and found this very same thing. Not sure it was the issue, but definately the wrong settings for that situation. I was almost sure my settings hadn't changed from the last time. We have more snow coming here soon, so I have to wait for the sun to try again.

According to the EXIF data those were the settings when you took the picture. Having white balance on "flash", and ISO at 400 when shooting into the sun may have had a lot to do with how that shot turned out.

So take a look at your previous shots and see if the shooting data is the same. I would be surprised if this is not the cause of the blooming you see.

Without the sun flares (little spots) this is a pretty cool picture.;)

VetteD50
12-07-2005, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the info. If the sun ever comes out here again, I'll give it a try!