PDA

View Full Version : help please lens choice

jimmy
12-03-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm going to get a menolta d5, the kit lens is 18x70mm, i would like a little more reach, but not give up focus speed and quality. I have thought about the sigma 18x125 or 18x200, will I get as good shots, and focus speed with this choice, or will the kit lens do just about as well, or better?, and if the sigma which one is best, as i really don't need a huge zoom. thanks for your help, I have been a point and shoot guy, this is my first try at a "real camera", looking fordward to you help.:confused: :confused: :confused:

aparmley
12-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Jimmy - I think since you will have 18-70 covered with the kit lens, you should aim to get something from 70-200,300. I wouldn't suggest getting a zoom that spans from 18-200, although the sigma is not too bad from what I've read, if you are interested in that lens, then I would forego the kit lens if it is possible. because you will essentially have that range covered with the 18-200,125, that would free up some funds to pay for that 18-200 if that is really what you are looking for. Having said that, perhaps I should suggest it as a reasonable possibilty, having that 18-200 will ease you into the SLR world nicely, coming from point and shoots you don't really change lenses. . .