PDA

View Full Version : D50 Spot?

lee_ellis
12-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Hi Everyone, I'm new so please excuse me if I seem a bit thick! I've just brough a new D50 and i've just been looking through all the photos i've taken and there seems to be a slight spot in the centre of them all. I've taken this picture of a white wall to show you what I mean.

http://www.webspacelee.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DSC_0006.JPG

Is this dust or could it be a technical problem as when i'm looking through the view finder it doesnt seem to be there. Its as though the camera is adding it on itself. (as I said I'm a complete novice!) Any help or advice would be appriciated.

Cheers
Lee

coldrain
12-03-2005, 07:39 AM
It looks like a spec of dust to me. You can easily blow it away with an appropriate blow tool from your local photography store.

D70FAN
12-03-2005, 08:32 AM
It would eliminate a lot of unnecessary angst if all dSLR's (especially entry level) had a picture similar to this one, from Lee, that said, "if you see this it's just dust," and the brief instructions on how to clean the sensor. Also include the $2 blower bulb with the camera.;)

OR better yet incorporate the ultra-sonic cleaner ala Olympus...

lee_ellis
12-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the prompt replies, as I mention i'm new to photography so advice on issues such as this is very helpful :) .

Cheers,
Lee

D70FAN
12-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the prompt replies, as I mention i'm new to photography so advice on issues such as this is very helpful :) .

Cheers,
Lee

Now that you have the camera it will be a lot easier to understand the lingo, and techniques.

Have fun, and post a few when you are ready.

K1W1
12-03-2005, 02:39 PM
You are actually very lucky. The spot is almost dead centre on the sensor so it will be easy to find. No need to get ties up with mirror images and the like.
One thing that the Australian Nikon importer does do properly is give you your first dust clean for free. It's probably a shame other Nikon importers / country branches don't do the same thing.

erichlund
12-04-2005, 01:43 PM
You are actually very lucky. The spot is almost dead centre on the sensor so it will be easy to find. No need to get ties up with mirror images and the like.
One thing that the Australian Nikon importer does do properly is give you your first dust clean for free. It's probably a shame other Nikon importers / country branches don't do the same thing.
Considering the Australian prices I've heard for the new D200, it's the least they can do. Have the price estimates come down in the last week or so, or are they still pretty outrageous? I was reading about guys planning trips to America so they could get a better deal on the camera.

Cheers,
Eric

lee_ellis
12-04-2005, 04:00 PM

Hi Everyone,

Wow, I cant believe how easy it was to remove that spot. I used the mirror luck up feature to display the sensor and as K1W1 said the bit of dust was really easy to see dead centre. One blast with the blower and it was gone!

Thanks for all you help! :)

Lee

K1W1
12-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Considering the Australian prices I've heard for the new D200, it's the least they can do. Have the price estimates come down in the last week or so, or are they still pretty outrageous? I was reading about guys planning trips to America so they could get a better deal on the camera.

Cheers,
Eric

Quote from Maxwells web site.

D200/FS 4.5 POSTCARD OFFER 2,899.00

Aus$2899.00 = US$2150.00 (approx)
Obviously there is some sort of lens involved with this and I have no idea what the "postcard offer" refers to. This is of course RRP so the street price will no doubt be somewhat less.