PDA

View Full Version : D200, Sensor, and Noise!?

eyelab
12-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Was trying to look for some posts here with maybe some samples of the D200 at higher ISO so I can see if the noise issue is gone? Seems Canon blows nikon out when it comes to higher ISO noise elimination. Just wondering if the New D200 is going to fix this problem and compare to Canon's Noise Elimniation?

Samples would be great! I seen some before but was with flash, with lots of light. So you can't really see the noise problem till its a darker enviroment. Anyone got any samples, feedback, or what not to add and help me make a decision? I wont buy a D200 if it still doesn't fix the noise problem. I really want one. My main concern to upgrading my Nikon is getting something with better noise handling! Thanks.

erichlund
12-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Was trying to look for some posts here with maybe some samples of the D200 at higher ISO so I can see if the noise issue is gone? Seems Canon blows nikon out when it comes to higher ISO noise elimination. Just wondering if the New D200 is going to fix this problem and compare to Canon's Noise Elimniation?

I see this more as two different philosophies in what makes a good photograph. Frankly, the noise performance on Nikon's is just fine in most photographic situations, unless you are a pixel peeper. Even ISO 1600 on the D70 is acceptable if you are careful about exposure. But, if you are so concerned, then the Canon cameras are tuned to produce very low noise. Why not just go buy one? Really, me feelings won't be hurt if you buy into a different system than mine. Nikon is not going to change their basic photographic philosophy because you might go buy a different brand. They have consistently produced cameras that produce excellent, detailed images when used in the hands of a competent photographer.

Samples would be great! I seen some before but was with flash, with lots of light. So you can't really see the noise problem till its a darker enviroment. Anyone got any samples, feedback, or what not to add and help me make a decision? I wont buy a D200 if it still doesn't fix the noise problem. I really want one. My main concern to upgrading my Nikon is getting something with better noise handling! Thanks.

Remember, Nikon doesn't release official photos until the camera is released. You simply cannot rely on anything you have seen posted unless you are certain of the reputation of the photographer that handled the camera. So, essentially, there is zero valid photographic evidence at this point. That said, if you sift through every sample out there, there are a few diamonds in the rough. OTOH, I've yet to see any real, well thought out, low light tests of the camera. I would suggest that is partially or totally due to lack of opportunity. There are only a few of these cameras currently in the wild. Most of the pictures being leaked are coming from Asia, as most of the European and American samples have been pretty locked down. So, really, there's no way to answer this question until the big review sites get to do their thing. Of course, this means you will have plenty of time to make up your mind, because I estimate most stores are now sold out through March. B&H would be the exception, because they don't take preorders. I suspect if they don't have a police presence on release day, violence will ensue.

Cheers,
Eric

eyelab
12-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Not trying to bash Nikon :P Just seems to be a known problem. Even people I know who love Nikon agree, Nikon has noise. I agree, the pictures I take with my D70 are great. I did some play shots at very low light, and with a little cleaning up of the noise, look great. Just no noise is obviously better then a little noise :P Thats all I'm saying... I love Nikon and I wont buy a Canon. I love getting them looks from Canon people when i'm doing horse shows! HAH...

Any hoot, you kind of answer my question I guess. I need to wait till the cam gets its hands out in public. I just though I read somewhere that the Sensor is different? Or something along those lines and noise would be reduced in the new camera! Just was asking :P Not bashing! Beleive me. Love Nikon. Just would like to see some noise reduction from the camera itself instead of me having to post process a bit. LOVE#$!@

I guess its just waiting time to see! Whats the release date on the camera? Really can't wait to see some pictures and just see what we come up with@#$!

erichlund
12-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Personally, I don't think you are going to be disappointed. Of course, this is absolutely just opinion, but I believe that the noise levels will be well controlled.

I don't believe they will be as controlled as the Canon equivalent cameras, but that's because I don't believe that Nikon has changed their philosophy. For some people, the camera with the lowest noise wins, because that's what they focus on. But noise only becomes important if it makes the final output unuseable.

For most of us, that's a print at some reasonable size, generally betwee 3 x 5 and 8 1/2 x 11. Some of us print a bit bigger and we have to make sure we are prepared for that. Unless you're pixel peeping, most people don't have real large on screen images because of the affect on performance.

Cheers,
Eric

D70FAN
12-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Yup, this is a new sensor. Back to CCD, for good reason. Keep in mind that the D50 actually rivals Canons consumer dSLR offerings at ISO1600, and according to several "expert reviewers" may even be better. And I would expect that Nikon has learned a thing or two on this front in the past 2 years.

Quote from DP Review:

"We were probably the most surprised by the D50's noise levels, Nikon has clearly spent time since the creation of the D70 on design changes to keep noise down. The D50 has the lowest noise levels of any of the affordable digital SLR's we've tested (although they're all fairly clean, we're talking fractions here)."

So try not to get caught up in the myth that Canons offerings are superior in the noise department, although they are certainly very good. I would be willing to bet that the D200 will perform very well in the high ISO, low noise, area, even after smashing 4 more MegaPixels into the same sensor area as the D50/D70.

Just my 2 pennies worth...