PDA

View Full Version : is Lenmar DLC3L Camera Battery compatible/good for SD550?

jiismd
11-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Hello,

I recently purchased Canon SD550 camera. I am looking for a spare camera battery.

Canon's NB3L battery costs almost $35.00-$40.00

However, I find on Amazon supposedly compatible battery from Lenmar (model #DLC3L) for almost $11.99.

Questions:

Does anyone know if these non-Canon batteries are good for Canon camera?

Does anyone use such batteries and what is your experience with them?

Specifically, has anyone used Lemar DLC3L and how is it compared to Canon's NB3L?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
_jiismd

Canon SD550
Sandisk 1GB SD card
Digital Concepts Camera Screen Protector (SP-96)

Rhys
11-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Lenmar is a Chinese company. Buying Lenmar poducts/IBM laptops (made by lenar) supports a fascist communist dictatorship seeking to destroy the American economy by flogging low-cost goods to America with the aim of destroying the US manufacturing base.

jiismd
11-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Alright, Rhys. Can you recommend any other non-Canon batteries for this camera that is compatible with SD550? Cheers.

Alnath
11-29-2005, 09:22 AM
http://sterlingtek.com mate. Even though i am in the UK i get mine from there, very good service. Mind if all Americans rant like Rhys maybe i should stick to UK companies in the future?

Rhys
11-29-2005, 11:12 AM
http://sterlingtek.com mate. Even though i am in the UK i get mine from there, very good service. Mind if all Americans rant like Rhys maybe i should stick to UK companies in the future?

But I am British!

China is busily destroying the UK economy as well. Look at all those pound shops that have sprung up. They sell cheap Chinese junk and that money goes one way -straight to China. The Chinese buy nothing from us.

Alnath
11-30-2005, 05:17 AM
No because everything we make is too expensive, if you want UK goods to compete with goods from China then get people to go to work for 30 quid a week.

I am sure Canon would disagree that the Speedlite 430EX is junk simply because it is made in China.

Rhys
11-30-2005, 08:03 AM
No because everything we make is too expensive, if you want UK goods to compete with goods from China then get people to go to work for 30 quid a week.

I am sure Canon would disagree that the Speedlite 430EX is junk simply because it is made in China.

I disagree with the simplistic Thatcherite explanation that everything made in Britain is too expensive. The problem is deeper. It's bad quality, out-dated and made for contracting markets.

Sendo -a British mobile phone manufacturing company - seems to be doing well. That was a late-comer to the market though. See what I mean - companies make products only for mature or contracting markets. Nobody gets excited about mobile phones these days. Hence develoment costs need to be recouped after everybody else has recouped theirs. Thus British producs cannot compete on a cost basis. Having said that they often have the latest advances in the technology included - usually a few weeks before anybody else has.

If Britain competed for quality, longevity, backup, service/spares and innovation then Britain would succeed. At the moment British industry is a dead duck - probably caused by banks that like to invest only in "safe" ventures.

jiismd
11-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Folks,

This thread is turning into a separate discussion which should take place at probably different forum. btw, I am in US. I agree with some comments made by both of you.

Alnath, the problem with the site you listed is that it does not even mention the name of the company that makes non-canon brand. Do you know what brand they sell? Have you used it personally and if so how do you find it? That's what I am interested in knowing.

Anyone else out there have experience using non-Canon brand batteries w/ Canon cameras...any recommendation from personal experience?

Thank You.

hemiram
12-04-2005, 01:29 AM
The general rule in Ham Radio, Cellphones, Laptop PCs, and everything else electronic, is to NEVER buy the manufacturer's batteries. They are always overpriced to an insane degree. I recently bought a Dell laptop and for the price Dell wants for upgrading to one of the larger batteries, I could buy two from several different companies on ebay and other websites, and have the lower capacity battery it comes with. Unlike most, these are genuine Dell batteries not generics!

It wouldn't surprise me if the Lenmar battery is the same battery as the "official" SD550 batt, with a label slapped on it, and a big price tag.

A friend, who didn't know better, bought an Icom handheld 2-Meter radio and three large capacity Nimh sold by the same company. The three batteries cost over $300. When he showed me the radio, I said, "Hey, they're selling it with a bigger battery now, huh?" He says, "No I bought three of those bigger batteries, and the cost a lot of money!" I must have had a funny look on my face, he says, "What's the matter?" I said, "Did you buy 3 Icom batteries!!??"
Yep, he sure did. For what he paid for those 3 batteries, he could have almost, not quite, bought 12 of the clone batteries! And inside the case? They were EXACTLY THE SAME BATTERIES! So he paid over 200 bucks for Icom logos.

And I would be surprised if the "official" battery wasn't made in China too..

Rhys
12-04-2005, 10:36 AM
If you crack open most laptop and mobile phone batteries you'll find that inside are some pretty common battery cells. Inside some are AA, C, AAA or even D size NiMh batteries but with solder tags rather than the normal nipple and plate variety.