PDA

View Full Version : annoying clicking sound from D50 body

dodoei
11-24-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm a DSLR newbie. Just got my D50. When I move or shake the body, with or without battery, I always hear a clicking sound. Is this normal? I've got about 60 pics, they all look good, so the camera is working well at least. But what is that sound?

Happy holidays!

D70FAN
11-24-2005, 08:12 AM
I'm a DSLR newbie. Just got my D50. When I move or shake the body, with or without battery, I always hear a clicking sound. Is this normal? I've got about 60 pics, they all look good, so the camera is working well at least. But what is that sound?

Happy holidays!

Go down to your local camera store and see if their display model does the same thing. If no... contact Nikon service. Couldn't hurt to have it checked out.

michaelbradley
11-24-2005, 08:52 AM
I just got my D50 via mail order and when you move it around, it sounds like a small piece is loose. I took the lens off thinking a part will fall out but it did not...

I have a panasonic digital that makes a strange noise but it does not sound like a loose piece.

Anyone else having this aggravation...?

5 pictures and they look great so far... :) I mail ordered mine and have a very small window!

dodoei
11-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Do you always hear the sound? My D50 always has it, with or without batery, power on or off and flash poped out or closed. I can hear the sound even I move or rotate the camera body very slightly.

I just got my D50 via mail order and when you move it around, it sounds like a small piece is loose. I took the lens off thinking a part will fall out but it did not...

I have a panasonic digital that makes a strange noise but it does not sound like a loose piece.

Anyone else having this aggravation...?

5 pictures and they look great so far... :) I mail ordered mine and have a very small window!

NEL
11-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Pop-up the flash and see if the sound is gone. When I got mine I had same question. It happened to be something in the flash mechanism.

dodoei
11-24-2005, 11:27 AM
I digged out your post actually. It's great you are still around. Mine still has the noise flash poped or not. So yours doesn't have any noise at all after poping up the flash? Now I think I really need to resturn this one. And it seems to have a big cluster of dark pixels, I didn't know this DSLRs were really fragile. Normally, how many bad pixels do you expect in a DSLR sensor? Thanks!

Pop-up the flash and see if the sound is gone. When I got mine I had same question. It happened to be something in the flash mechanism.

coldrain
11-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Can you show a cropped detail of a photo that shows the black spot?

dodoei
11-24-2005, 12:21 PM

This is an example. The darker area is in every pic I took. It's actually quite big. This camera is brand new. I looked at the lens and body, but didn't see any noticeable dirt.

Can you show a cropped detail of a photo that shows the black spot?

coldrain
11-24-2005, 12:37 PM
It looks like a spec of dust somewhere, either on the back of the lens or on the sensor. You can get rid of it yourself with an appropriate blower from a camera shop. It is not a damaged sensor.

K1W1
11-24-2005, 01:41 PM
The clicking sound is quite normal - all D50's do it.
It's the orientation sensor that identifies whether the camera is in portrait or landscape mode. It's a little ball bearing hence the noise.
This is actually one of the most asked questions by new D50 owners. There are hundreds od threads scattered around the Internet about this and a cursory search of any DSLR camera forum would have provided an answer.

NEL
11-24-2005, 08:29 PM
I digged out your post actually. It's great you are still around. Mine still has the noise flash poped or not. So yours doesn't have any noise at all after poping up the flash? Now I think I really need to resturn this one. And it seems to have a big cluster of dark pixels, I didn't know this DSLRs were really fragile. Normally, how many bad pixels do you expect in a DSLR sensor? Thanks!

I still can hear weak sound. As K1W1 said it is probably orientation sensor, but that sound is so weak - you would never notice it unless you bring the camera to your ear.

K1W1
11-25-2005, 01:43 AM
There is no probably about it. It is the orientation sensor and all D50's have that sound.
If you DO NOT hear the sound you either have a faulty camera or you need your hearing tested. :)

dodoei
11-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Interesting thing is Nikon support told me there should not be any click sound. As long as the camera works great, I think I'll get used to the sound. Thanks for the info.

There is no probably about it. It is the orientation sensor and all D50's have that sound.
If you DO NOT hear the sound you either have a faulty camera or you need your hearing tested. :)

NEL
11-25-2005, 08:13 AM

I guess I have to go to doctor, my orientation sensor works and doesn't make click sound:(

coldrain
11-25-2005, 08:52 AM
The 350D makes the same sound, it is not the orientation sensor but the flash pop up mechanism. If you shake it REALLY hard I am sure it will stop clicking :eek: