PDA

View Full Version : D70s and ML-3 Wireless remote

Esoterra
11-18-2005, 11:08 PM
I asked the sales staff at BHPhoto if the wireless remote ML-3 (think thats the name) works with my D70s, they said yes so I bought it. I get it in the mail, make sure the battery is in, turn on my camera, and hit the remote button and ... NOTHING. Has anyone else had this problem or know if I have been lied to? Online I saw in a comparison chart that the remote should work. Before I send it back, I am wondering if I am doing something wrong??

Please help! heh

Thanks!

K1W1
11-19-2005, 12:38 AM
I assume that you mean ML-L3
It's listed as an approved accessory on Nikons web site.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=56&productNr=4730

Trigger the shutter remotely when using slower shutter speeds to prevent camera movement

Offers immediate release mode and two second delay mode

Range aproximately 16 feet in front of camera

Compatible with N65, N75, D70, D70s, and D50 Cameras

Product Number 4730

Jim R
11-19-2005, 05:33 AM
Did you take the remote out of its little black fabric pouch? I assumed that it would work in the pouch, but found that it was working only intermittently ..... and then someone pointed out to me that it won't shoot through the fabric

Ray Schnoor
11-19-2005, 06:10 AM
You also have to set the exposure for quick response remote or delayed remote under the shooting mode menu.

D70FAN
11-19-2005, 06:53 AM
I asked the sales staff at BHPhoto if the wireless remote ML-3 (think thats the name) works with my D70s, they said yes so I bought it. I get it in the mail, make sure the battery is in, turn on my camera, and hit the remote button and ... NOTHING. Has anyone else had this problem or know if I have been lied to? Online I saw in a comparison chart that the remote should work. Before I send it back, I am wondering if I am doing something wrong??

Please help! heh

Thanks!

You need to set the camera for remote operation. On the back of the camera, next to the BKT button on the upper left, is the shooting mode button (looks like several pictures stacked). Press this button and turn the rear quick settings wheel until the remote symbol appears in the info LCD (this is how you also set single, continuous, and timed functions as well. Now you can shoot with the remote.

The IR remote sensor is on the front of the camera, just above the D70s logo/badge, so the remote needs to be held in that general area in front of the camera. You can still stay behind the camera but need to position the remote in the general area of the reciever window (again just above the D70s badge).

Esoterra
11-19-2005, 07:29 AM
I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that I had to set the camera shooting mode to remote... tried it and it worked. Thanks for the feedback. Im am still curious, does the wired remote work any better?

Jonathan
11-20-2005, 05:03 AM
I use my remote a lot with tripod work, when I want to eliminate any possible camera shake from my fingers triggering the shutter. I know I could use the timer, but just like the remote better. I think it would be better than the timer for family portraits where you are in the portrait, but haven't tried that yet.

thesween
11-20-2005, 09:37 AM
You need to have a direct line-of-sight signal, and a narrow one at that, in order to use this remote with consistency. I tried using it this past summer to shoot hummingbirds on a feeder and missed more than I got because of time lost in finding that exact narrow beam on which the IF signal works. That, I guess, is the bad news. The good news is that this thing is cheap, about $15-20US.