PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports

Peter Gregg
10-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi,

Why not counter balance the CR list of cameras with either your own list and replace the cameras they have with the cameras CR should have had there?

~Peter

John_Reed
10-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi,

Why not counter balance the CR list of cameras with either your own list and replace the cameras they have with the cameras CR should have had there?

~PeterWhy bother? The people who read Consumer Reports aren't likely to see what's on this site, nor vice versa. Magazine reviewers (Jeff included) have to go with what they have on hand to look at well before the magazine actually comes out in print. It is a bit surprising to see the antique C-740 coming up so strong, though, I must admit!

Jeff Keller
10-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Magazine reviewers (Jeff included) have to go with what they have on hand to look at well before the magazine actually comes out in print. It is a bit surprising to see the antique C-740 coming up so strong, though, I must admit!

I dunno what the lead time is for that magazine. For Macworld it's about three months which isn't horrible but things are pretty outdated by the time it hits the newsstands. But some of the things in the CR issue are ancient history!

Jeff Keller
10-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Hi,

~Peter

Well I do have my favorite cameras listed on the FAQ page!

http://www.dcresource.com/faq/faq.html

wmussatto
10-07-2004, 11:16 AM
One thing consumer reports can give, which this site cannot is Reliability ratings. I've filled out enough surveys on what broke and how over the years. While they have trouble with technical stuff, I've found their reliability info quite useful. Interestingly, best buy's sale staff seems to report the same things. Top brands for reliabilty were Sony, Cannon, Panasonic

Only thing is, I'm not sure Jeff won't get in trouble quoting their results.. Of course since he isn't selling anything their restrictions may not apply.

BTw: Got the Pan FZ20 based on the review here...Thanks Jeff for speeding it up.