PDA

View Full Version : How about a Photo Gallery right here on DCRP?

John_Reed
10-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Many other sites have gallery threads where users can post photos, just for sharing, critiquing, for the fun and education of it. We can do it here also, but it's usually in conjunction with answering someone's question, so it occurred to me that having a separate "Gallery" thread would be a good thing. You could just post a web-hosted photo, along with what camera you'd used, maybe some EXIF data, maybe not. Anyone agree or disagree?

Rhys
10-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Many other sites have gallery threads where users can post photos, just for sharing, critiquing, for the fun and education of it. We can do it here also, but it's usually in conjunction with answering someone's question, so it occurred to me that having a separate "Gallery" thread would be a good thing. You could just post a web-hosted photo, along with what camera you'd used, maybe some EXIF data, maybe not. Anyone agree or disagree?

Would this perhaps be too expensive? I admin several websites, hosted in various places. Webspace just ain't cheap unless you have your own server and can do your own hosting.

John_Reed
10-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Would this perhaps be too expensive? I admin several websites, hosted in various places. Webspace just ain't cheap unless you have your own server and can do your own hosting.Rhys, I was thinking of the situation where your photos are already web-hosted, not a situation where Jeff would provide the hosting. So this site's incremental web usage would be slight, considering that only links would be stored here. I think getting into actually hosting photos would get to be a business (and possibly a headache?) in itself, having then to offer prints, booklets, etc., in addition to just providing a picture base.

Rhys
10-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Rhys, I was thinking of the situation where your photos are already web-hosted, not a situation where Jeff would provide the hosting. So this site's incremental web usage would be slight, considering that only links would be stored here. I think getting into actually hosting photos would get to be a business (and possibly a headache?) in itself, having then to offer prints, booklets, etc., in addition to just providing a picture base.

Ah. Sorry. I misread your original posting.

Wouldn't links to photos be best placed in the signature file? That'd be an updatable, easy solution :)

John_Reed
10-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Ah. Sorry. I misread your original posting.

Wouldn't links to photos be best placed in the signature file? That'd be an updatable, easy solution :)Acquaint me with the "problem" for which the "solution" is needed? If I open a new message and place an image URL therein, suitably wrapped with the bracketed image designators, what's the difference whether they're in the body of the message or in the signature file? :confused:

judge9847
10-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Acquaint me with the "problem" for which the "solution" is needed? If I open a new message and place an image URL therein, suitably wrapped with the bracketed image designators, what's the difference whether they're in the body of the message or in the signature file? :confused:
I thought that if an image was in the signature, you would, in effect, be displaying only one at a time - and that it would appear in every response/posting you had ever made for the time it was "active".

Again I think that you must be right: if you have an image you want to link to, do it in the body of the post.

But maybe I'm missing something still :confused:

Rhys
10-06-2004, 06:56 PM
I thought that if an image was in the signature, you would, in effect, be displaying only one at a time - and that it would appear in every response/posting you had ever made for the time it was "active".

Again I think that you must be right: if you have an image you want to link to, do it in the body of the post.

But maybe I'm missing something still :confused:

I was thinking of just a web address such as Click here to view pictures and videos (http://uk.geocities.com/rhys_sage/)