PDA

View Full Version : Battery recall

K1W1
11-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Just how widespread is this battery recall?
I just looked at mine (D50 about 3 months old) and it's covered. From the list of affected batch numbers I'd say that either Nikon have very small batch runs or virtually every EN-EL3 battery ever made is affected.
I don't know what happens elsewhere but here you fill in a web form and they mail you a new battery, you then use the packaging to send the "faulty" battery back (no charge for postage). Of course in the mean time you are not supposed to use the faulty battery - ha, ha.

nwpoland
11-10-2005, 04:44 AM
same thing with my d50 battery. i had to call the nikon office in warsaw (i live in poland) to report that i had a faulty battery. they're sending out an envelope...yadda yadda yadda just like you said.

pretty wild...i'm sure nikon's loving this! makes me wonder about the 3rd party extra battery that i bought!!

D70FAN
11-10-2005, 05:58 AM
I have 3 Nikon EN-EL3's, purchased over the last 18 months, and none are on the list.

I'm thinking that their lots are relatively small,

thesween
11-12-2005, 07:50 PM
I have 3 Nikon EN-EL3's, purchased over the last 18 months, and none are on the list.

I'm thinking that their lots are relatively small,

Not from my experience - three of us with the D70, me included, have batteries on the recall list, which is extensive. Check Nikon's http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_options&cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25214
to see if you need to swap out your battery. I'm not saying that this battery is a genuine problem, but the lot numbers of "possibly" defective EN-EL3s is pretty darned big. Cheers!

K1W1
11-13-2005, 03:47 AM
It seems like a huge recall if it's true that only four batteries world wide have actually exhibited the problem.

thesween
11-13-2005, 10:43 AM
It seems like a huge recall if it's true that only four batteries world wide have actually exhibited the problem.

I would agree completely. A hypothetical, if you will; suppose you have one of these bum batteries and it goes into meltdown and damages your camera, what then? Is Nikon completely responsible for repair or replacement? I'd guess, yes, they are, since they haven't directly contacted all owners, and it isn't a mandatory recall. Contacting all owners would be a monumental task, but other consumer product companies do it all the time. Plus, if you own a Nikon dSLR, you are registered, provided you are the original owner. Personally, I stumbled across this recall quite by accident. I'd have to believe a huge number of owners haven't a clue about this. Any thoughts?

K1W1
11-14-2005, 12:08 AM
I was contacted directly (by email) by the Australian Nikon distributor. It's no more difficult to send an email to 10,000 people on a database than it is to send to one individually. The hard part is writing the email not sending it.
The issue though is that Nikon can only contact people they know about. If a person doesn't bother to register their camera all Nikon can really do is publicise the recall on sites like this and in photographic publications and hope for the best I guess. After all camera's are not like autos, they don't get taken to dealers for service on a regular basis.

thesween
11-15-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm guessing not many on this forum takes the recall seriously. Either that, or no one here has a battery on that extensive recall list, which doesn't seem all that likely to me. FWIW, I was not contacted by Nikon, although I did fill out all the requisite paperwork upon getting the D70. Maybe this battery problem isn't much of anything.

Ray Schnoor
11-15-2005, 04:36 PM
I have a D70 as does my mother-in-law. We each have 2 batteries, none of which are on the recall list.