PDA

View Full Version : SD400 - High Speed card advantage?

RyGentz
11-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Just wondering if there is any advantage to purchasing a high speed SD card (like the SanDisk SD Ultra II) for a Canon SD400 camera? This card advertises a write speed of 9 MB/sec. Does this mean that if I take a picture at highest resolution on my camera (about 3 MB) that it will write to the card in 1/3 of a second compared to 2 seconds with a Kingston SD card with a write speed of 1.5 Mbps. Secondly, what does a card with a write speed of 32x or 40x mean in relation to Mbps??

If there is an advantage to a high speed card for the SD400, is it a noticable advantage and is it worth the money difference?

Thanks for the help!

David Metsky
11-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Short answer, no.

Longer answer, the faster card will be faster when copying files from the card to your computer via card reader, but will make no difference when shooting. The camera is limited to how fast it can write data. As long as your card can be written to at that speed, there's no advantage to getting a faster card. You are limited by the camera, not the card.

-dave-

CameraNewbie
11-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Short answer, yes.

I have used standard cards and it wont be able to handle 30fps video properly. Even if you do, playback from when the button is pressed to when the video starts playing is delayed about 2secs. The faster card will be faster when copying files from the card to your computer via card reader, plus faster operation within the camera. I was in this situation when I first got my cam, have tried so many different cards...and high speed does benefit you.

David Metsky
11-09-2005, 03:19 PM
I guess it depends on your card. My basic SanDisk (non-UltraII) card handles all video modes without a problem. Since there's no difference with the video on the SD200/300/400 I don't see how a faster card will help. You've posted about your difficulties but I think that either you have a dog of a card or something else is happening.

I know that my plain SanDisk card works fine with all the video modes on my SD300. It may be faster than your cards, but you don't need a "high-speed" card in my experience.

-dave-

CameraNewbie
11-09-2005, 05:58 PM
I guess it depends on your card. My basic SanDisk (non-UltraII) card handles all video modes without a problem. Since there's no difference with the video on the SD200/300/400 I don't see how a faster card will help. You've posted about your difficulties but I think that either you have a dog of a card or something else is happening.

I know that my plain SanDisk card works fine with all the video modes on my SD300. It may be faster than your cards, but you don't need a "high-speed" card in my experience.

-dave-

Understandable. Ya I dont know whats up with my cam. I could have got a dog card then. Afterall, I did buy used, but still...the previous users didnt have any problems. Strange. The plain sandisk or toshiba worked in recording video, but the lexar standard was fine. Odd....must be the card.

But I still like when I transfer my 512 ultra II in less than a min, whereas a standard would take 4-5mins.

[aidas]
12-22-2005, 01:19 AM
i have just tested my konica minolta z2 camera with 2 cards.
with toshiba 16 MB SD CARD takes about 3.2 seconds while it writes data to the camera,
the same shot with kingston elite pro high speed takes just about 1.8 seconds.
its almost 2x faster!