PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Sensor

Esoterra
11-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I have this friend, he called me yesterday and said he wanted to clean his nikon D50 because when he changes his lens, he can see a lot of dust particles on the glass covering the sensor. I told him to use a dust blower without the brush. He tried this and he still sees the dust. Now he wants to use the brush on the blower to lightly sweep off the dust... I told him to STOP.. and wait till I got some feedback from you fellas first because I wasn't sure and dont want him to ruin his camera based off of my feedback. It's my understanding that you can not use a blower brush on the glass surface seen when you open the camera? Whats the good word?

Eso

D70FAN
11-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I have this friend, he called me yesterday and said he wanted to clean his nikon D50 because when he changes his lens, he can see a lot of dust particles on the glass covering the sensor. I told him to use a dust blower without the brush. He tried this and he still sees the dust. Now he wants to use the brush on the blower to lightly sweep off the dust... I told him to STOP.. and wait till I got some feedback from you fellas first because I wasn't sure and dont want him to ruin his camera based off of my feedback. It's my understanding that you can not use a blower brush on the glass surface seen when you open the camera? Whats the good word?

Eso

If he can see the dust just by opening the camera then the dust is on the mirror, not the sensor which is under the mirror. For the mirror he can use a blower brush, or do nothing at all since mirror dust won't show up on the photo.

If it is the sensor then he can buy a special cleaning brush for that purpose. Also he will not be cleaning the sensor directly but the glass IR filter in front of the sensor, so it's not as dangerous as everyone thinks. Just make sure that the cleaning method is designed for dSLR sensors.

pdinella
11-10-2005, 07:06 AM
Tell your friend three things:
1. STOP
2. read his Nikon manual on this subject
3. Go to Google and do some research on the subject. A recent information site that was good is... cleaningdigitalcameras.com

I always clean with a hand blower. I never had enought dust to use the other methods.

Also, always point the camera down to remove\add lenses. That has paid off for me.