PDA

View Full Version : D200 - 1600 ISO shot + More

Rex914
11-03-2005, 05:41 PM
These aren't mine, but I'm hosting them since the original poster's site went down. Somebody over at FM got a chance to play with a D200 and took some pictures of it and more importantly WITH it. These were taken using a nice Nikon's 12-24 f/4 lens.

First, the 1600 ISO shot that you've been waiting to see. The original author will have more shots up tomorrow.

Info (bolded stuff should be noted)
Nikon D200
12-24mm f/4 DX @ 22 mm
jpeg fine, 3872 x 2592
programmed auto
1/60 @ F8
0 EV
iso 1600
wb auto
front curtain flash (sb800 angled abit up)
srgb mode 1, saturation and sharpening auto
noise reduction off

Full Shot

http://www.gureporter.com/Photos/D200X/D200-1600iso.jpg

100% Crops

http://www.gureporter.com/Photos/D200X/D200-1600iso-crop1.jpg

Blotchy due to (a) bad JPG compression (b) noise reduction(?), but it's fairly noiseless given the 1600 ISO setting. I do want to see a non-flash picture though.

http://www.gureporter.com/Photos/D200X/D200-1600iso-crop2.jpg

Noise levels are pretty good. But again, it just appears that this was sent through NN even though I know it wasn't. It has that smooth but blotchy look to it. Nevertheless, I'm impressed given the circumstances.

This serves as a reminder about how large that screen is!

http://www.gureporter.com/Photos/D200X/D2006.jpg

Looks rock solid doesn't it?

http://www.gureporter.com/Photos/D200X/D2004.jpg

D70FAN
11-03-2005, 07:09 PM
These aren't mine, but I'm hosting them since the original poster's site went down. Somebody over at FM got a chance to play with a D200 and took some pictures of it and more importantly WITH it. These were taken using nice Nikon's 12-24 f/4 lens.

First, the 1600 ISO shot that you've been waiting to see. The original author will have more shots up tomorrow.

Full Shot

100% Crops

Blotchy (could easily be the poor JPG compression), but it's fairly noiseless compared to a certain D2X.

Noise reduction seems pretty good. There's a bit of noise, but nothing to write home about.

This serves as a reminder about how large that screen is!

Looks rock solid doesn't it?

Rex... you are an instigator. Just as I was coming to grips with using the D70 for a couple more years, you had to show pictures.;)

I must be strong and get a couple of new lenses first...

... yeah right!

TheObiJuan
11-03-2005, 07:22 PM
I would have prefered to see shots with a fast lens and no flash to judge noise.
Is there an extended ISO 3200?

One more thing, is it me or does the text on Nikon screens just drive you mad?
I always hated the different sized/non standard letters and numbers.
For god sakes, use the same type and size.

The camera looks sexy. :D

D70FAN
11-03-2005, 07:32 PM
I would have prefered to see shots with a fast lens and no flash to judge noise.

Using sensitivity boost you can get ISO 2000, 2500 and 3200. One of the nice things about the D200 (and the D70) is the 1/3 stop steps for ISO.

It's you.

Read the preview up on DP Review...

... all the good stuff is there.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond200/

Rex914
11-03-2005, 08:20 PM

They're coming, they're coming. :)

I actually like the look of Nikon menu system this time around. It's completely cosmetic, but anti-aliasing the fonts and bumping up their resolution makes a huge difference. Sorry if I'm tempting you to buy this. If I were in your shoes, I too would rather splurge on a lens rather than a body.

TheObiJuan
11-03-2005, 11:12 PM
No, the menus are fine, I am talking about the top LCD sceen.
Instead of having the same size and type letters, like canon and other manufacturers, they have a big '6' and an 'O' instead of '0' for '60'. same for 'F' and '8'.

George, I read the preview and am impressed.

Rex914
11-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Oh, I see what you mean. Still, I really like how the screen itself is large even if the choice of font sizes was perhaps not-so-smart. I wonder when companies start copying Samsung by placing full color LCD's on top of cameras...

erichlund
11-03-2005, 11:24 PM

Let's not forget, Rex doesn't actually have one. He's getting the photos wherever he can, and we appreciate it.

George, I think he's talking about the LCD on the top of the camera. We Nikon types have just gotten used to it. It is kind of wierd though. The one that really bothers me is the zero. Does it use that much extra electricity to make it full height, like the other numbers? I'm sure that's the reason. Do whatever you have to do with the fewest number of lit segments. Never mind - Juan answered for himself.:)

Just as an aside, why did the word lit go away. In books, you always see lighted, even where lit sounds, appears and works better.

It does look pretty massive. Despite the fact that it meters AI lenses, I guess Rhys won't be interested in anything this big. Just means one less person in my way :D

Cheers,
Eric

Rex914
11-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Are you pre-ordering or waiting for the reviews (or user reports) to come out?

If I end up going this way and I wait until December, I may not get my camera until much later than that. Or I can eat the sales tax and buy locally which I'm fairly sure I can do if I'm that desperate to get a copy.

TheObiJuan
11-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Let's not forget, Rex doesn't actually have one. He's getting the photos wherever he can, and we appreciate it.

George, I think he's talking about the LCD on the top of the camera. We Nikon types have just gotten used to it. It is kind of wierd though. The one that really bothers me is the zero. Does it use that much extra electricity to make it full height, like the other numbers? I'm sure that's the reason. Do whatever you have to do with the fewest number of lit segments. Never mind - Juan answered for himself.:)

Just as an aside, why did the word lit go away. In books, you always see lighted, even where lit sounds, appears and works better.

It does look pretty massive. Despite the fact that it meters AI lenses, I guess Rhys won't be interested in anything this big. Just means one less person in my way :D

Cheers,
Eric

The use of lighted annoys me too.

Don't worry, I wasn't trying to be ungrateful by asking for more pics, I was just desperate for more. :p

Rex914
11-04-2005, 12:57 AM
You'll see more tomorrow. ;)

Bluedog
11-04-2005, 05:50 AM
Those look about as good as the Fuji F10 PS @ 1600 ... :rolleyes:

_ I couldn't help myself guys ... :o