PDA

View Full Version : PNY flash or SD?

bascom
10-28-2005, 08:56 AM
I plan to buy a Canon A520 or A610. Which 256M batteries are better, SD or PNY flash? The PNY flash costs $45, has a lifetime warranty and tech support, and says it will optimize storage. The SD cost $35 and has a 5 yr warranty.

Is the extra $10 worth it for PNY? What is flash memory?

tekriter
10-28-2005, 10:29 AM
those are the memory cards for storing your pictures. PNY is a brand, SD is a type, I'm pretty sure PNY makes/sells SD cards.

SD is Secure Digital, and is a small card holding memory as I said. PNY is a company that makes several different types of memory cards, such as SD, Compact Flash, and so on.

"Flash memory" is another name for the various types of memory cards. SD is just one of a half-dozen or so.

bascom
10-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Oops! I meant memory not batteries. Thanks for the info.

tekriter
10-29-2005, 08:18 AM
OK, but still what you have are two different things - PNY is a brand name for different types of memory cards including Secure Digital (or SD) cards.

The card you are calling "SD" might be a generic brand. Where did you see this card, at an online store?

First question is - does your camera use SD cards? What model of camera do you have?

Memory cards are available in different speed ratings - 30x, 40x, 60x - and these refer to how fast the files can be written to the card. Most new cameras can benefit from cards of at least 40x speed, some even more than that. If your camera has a high-speed or "burst" mode, a faster card is necessary for that function to work as advertised.
Give us a little more information about your camera, and we can help you with a card.

tekriter
10-30-2005, 06:37 AM
Hey - I just re-read your original post, sorry I didn't notice you had the camera models in there.

David Metsky
10-30-2005, 04:56 PM
I think SD in this case means SanDisk. Frankly, I'd buy whichever is cheaper as they won't make much of a difference with these cameras.

-dave-