PDA

View Full Version : How to Post Photos to the DCRP

Bill Markwick
10-26-2005, 01:45 AM
There are two methods of posting photos to the DCRP: directly via attachment (#1 below) or using an image hosting service (#2 below). In both cases, you need to resize your photo(s) (#3 below).

1. Direct Posting
There are two important limitations to direct posting: the file can't be larger than 234.4K and only one image can be displayed. If you upload multiple images, they'll show only as addresses (URLs). (You can display multiple images only by making a new post for each one.)

Assuming your image has been resized (see #3), start a reply, quote or new thread and enter the desired text. Scroll down to Manage Attachments. Click Browse and doubleclick the file you want to upload. Click Upload and that's it.

To see how it'll look, select Preview Post. If it's okay, click on Submit. If not, scroll down to the editor, make any changes, and click Preview again, or Submit.

2. Image Hosting Service
There are many of these available on the Web, some of them free. You can upload multiple images, copy the URLs, and then paste the URLs into your DCRP post wherever you want the picture(s) to appear. Note that you're limited to ten images per post, and that includes smilies.

Try putting image hosting into Google and you'll find lots of them. To get you started, here are some free services:

http://imageshack.us
http://www.snapfish.com
http://photobucket.com

Not surprisingly, they would like you to upgrade to a paid service, so some restrictions apply, such as a filesize limit (typically 1MB per image).

3. Resizing and Reducing Your Image
Since most monitors display at 72 pixels per inch, the image from your camera is too large and will require scrolling off the screen edge to see it all. Resizing the image to somewhere between 800 and 1024 horizontal pixels is about right for filling the screen.

If you're not sure, find some pictures in Gallery with a size that looks good, right-click on an image and select Properties. That'll tell you the file size and resolution in pixels. You'll find that most of the larger ones are 800 by 600 or 1024 by 768 or so.

The software that came with your camera can resize and reduce your images. Because there are so many different programs, I'll leave this part up to you. However, if your software is awkward to use, Google's free Picasa gets very good reviews from members here. A crash course in Picasa resizing and reducing (most programs should work about the same way):

Select the image so that it appears in the Picture Tray at the left. Click on Export at the right. Use Browse to give it a destination folder, or type it in. Set Resize to 800 or 1024. Set the Image Quality slider to give a filesize of 100K to 200K for DCRP posting (you'll have to experiment with this - try 60% to 80% at first). Click OK and that's it. To examine the new image, go to its folder, right-click it and select Properties>Summary>Advanced.

In Photoshop, you can use Image Size or Save for Web. Enter 800 or 1024 for the horizontal size (note that when resizing, both the Constrain and Resample boxes should have a checkmark). An advantage to Photoshop is that it will show you the filesize as you move the Quality slider.

Remember to use Save As and give it a new name or Photoshop will overwrite your original.

Regards,
Bill

zdzislaw
10-26-2005, 02:34 AM
Bill, you are the man,
lets hope that we will see more pictures on forums,
i keep sending mine,promise
thanks once more,
keep well,
regards
zdzislaw
ps.enjoy the pic

Jeff Keller
10-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks so much Bill! I've stickied the thread here, and added it to the photo forum announcement as well.

D Thompson
10-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Bill - Nice job. I'm sure it will help a lot of people.

One question tho, is the direct post limit 234k or 118k? Seems like when I first tried to post a pic here it gave me a limit of 118k and I've always used that when I save for web by file size.

Thanks,

Bill Markwick
10-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Many thanks to all for the kind words. I had fun writing that!

As for the maximum file size, if you click on Manage Attachments, you'll see a chart with 234.4K listed for JPG files. I tested it with a larger file, and yup, it said 234.4 is the max.

Regards,
Bill

clinger
02-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks Bill - finally managed to post a properly sized pic.

adamsfamily
02-19-2006, 05:09 AM
ok, I'm struggling here.
A while back, i posted some pictures on the thread about action shots and you actually saw the pictures as you scroll the the thread... now all that happens is an attachment link appears! What am i doing wrong?

ok, thats typical, it worked this time, but my post in the pets section didn't!! Honest!

bubble.tea
08-06-2006, 01:03 PM
I have a fairly more robust tutorial with detailed screen pics (http://www.nacellphoneforums.com/showthread.php?t=262) set up. If you guys think I should move it here., let me know.

I didn't want to step on OPs toes by doing so just yet.

Pradice
08-12-2006, 05:43 AM
can someone help me. I have several KONICA MINOLTA DIMAGE G500. I really like this camera for it takes great pictures and great for traveling. However the motor that opens and closes the lense burn up quickly and easily. I need instructions on how to take this thing apart and replace the motors. Anyone know where I can download a service manual or assembly instructions on this baby. Thanks a million.

Hamp

Ray Schnoor
08-12-2006, 06:47 AM
can someone help me. I have several KONICA MINOLTA DIMAGE G500. I really like this camera for it takes great pictures and great for traveling. However the motor that opens and closes the lense burn up quickly and easily. I need instructions on how to take this thing apart and replace the motors. Anyone know where I can download a service manual or assembly instructions on this baby. Thanks a million.

Hamp
If you want an answer to this question, you should post it in the Konica area. This area is for questions/pointers on how to post photos in this forum.

Ray.

Gary_P
12-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Hi Bill.
I didn't know any better so I uploaded 2 pictures and it worked fine.
I noticed you said:
"There are two important limitations to direct posting: the file can't be larger than 234.4K and only one image can be displayed. If you upload multiple images, they'll show only as addresses (URLs). (You can display multiple images only by making a new post for each one.)"
And 2 pictures worked fine for me.

Also if anyone is interested, there is a killer free application out there called Irfanview that will crop, display, do slide shows and batch process.
http://www.irfanview.com/

I have been using it for a while now on my rendered digital 3D images.

toriaj
12-13-2006, 12:26 AM
There are two important limitations to direct posting: the file can't be larger than 234.4K and only one image can be displayed. If you upload multiple images, they'll show only as addresses (URLs). (You can display multiple images only by making a new post for each one.)

Thanks for your post, Bill, but I'm with Gary on this one. If you use the tiny paperclip button to upload and enter the pics, then you can have multiple images in the post without linking to another site, or showing addresses.

The tiny paperclip is up above the window where you type the text. It is between the white smiley face and the undo arrow. You click it to open the "Manage Attachments" window, upload like normal, even multiple images. Close window, click on the arrow next to the tiny paperclip to insert the images, rearrange with text, etc.

wrestlingreport
03-12-2007, 11:46 AM
the chicks

cindy4928
04-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi, I am new and I thought this would be as good of a place as any to try my luck at posting a picture for the first time. If there is a thread for this kind of practice please let me know... thanks

Wesan
04-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Hello cindy4928.

There's the Photo Gallery forum (under the General Topics category), where you can post and share your pictures with us. It has different threads for different kinds of subjects. You can also make own threads there, of course. :)

That's a cute girl, BTW.:)

TDN169
06-07-2008, 05:07 PM
How much space does DCRP have?

Joe Fisher
07-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Your detailed tutorial isn't there anymore.
I"m having a a H*&^ of a time posting more than one picture.

I have a fairly more robust tutorial with detailed screen pics (http://www.nacellphoneforums.com/showthread.php?t=262) set up. If you guys think I should move it here., let me know.

I didn't want to step on OPs toes by doing so just yet.

toriaj
07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
If you are uploading directly to DCRP (aren't using a host site such as Flickr or Picasa) use the tiny paperclip button instead of the big "Manage Attachments" button. The tiny paperclip is above the window where you write the text, between the small white smileyface and the undo arrow. When you use the tiny paperclip, you can upload several images. When you close the Manage Attachments window and return to the text window, use the arrow next to the tiny paperclip to insert the images anywhere in the text that you want.

Phill D
07-24-2008, 12:06 AM
You think you know how to do something & then someone tells you a better, simpler and more powerful way. Tori I'd never even noticed that paperclip but it is exactly what I've wanted to do for ages & like many others here thought it couldn't be done. In a very small way it shows the power of multiple heads on one problem & the power of the internet to share information. Sad it maybe but that one little tip has made my day. Thanks Tori - I tried it in the Trees thread and it works a treat I'm a happy bunny :)

toriaj
07-24-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm glad you like it so much :) someone gave me that tip some two years ago or something. I try to pass it on.

Phill D
06-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Just tried to post an attachment & the paperclip wouldn't work so I looked for the manages attachments button below & it was missing. Anyone know what's wrong? :confused:

SpecialK
06-07-2009, 07:29 AM
You exceeded your upload/post limit. ;)

(Still shows up for me...)

Phill D
06-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I didn't know that there was a limit but I'm not suprised. How do you find out & what is the limit. Mind you I'm not sure that's the problem as I've just got back on my normal computer & it's fine now. Maybe it's something to do with the anti virus software on the other pc blocking things?

SpecialK
06-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Phill:

I was joking. I don't think there is a limit, which is why I post in the galleries here and not elsewhere...

Phill D
06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Doh sorry I was being a bit thick....Have been a bit busy & haven't had time to check the other pc I was using so still don't know why I couldn't post attachments the other day.

Phill D
06-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Now I'm baffled still can't post attachments to posts from my netbook but can on my desktop. I still suspect the antivirus software but ? The netbook uses McAfee & the desk top uses fsecure. Anyone have any clues ?

Anthony
07-07-2011, 05:31 AM
Post reported.